Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Works for me Wednesday - Wooden Puzzles for a great price


Last year for Christmas, amid the dolls and Little People toys and DVDs that Savannah received, we snuck in a gift of educational wooden puzzles. I wasn't sure she would like them, but I did. And I figured it's never too early to get her started on learning.


She loved them - I was thrilled. It was her absolute favorite toy and we spent hours playing with them. By the time she was 2 1/2 she knew all of her letters, numbers, and shapes. At first I thought it was just in relation to the puzzle - that she had memorized the spaces and would only know the letters if they were in the puzzle - but then she started pointing out letters to me when we would go out to run errands.

"Look, Mama....K! O! H! L! S!" (A girl after my own heart - I love shopping there).

So, I realize I am not the only mama to discover the awesomeness of the wooden puzzle, but the best part about these is the price - less than $8 for a set of 4 puzzles (plus shipping). I found this set here. And if you want the storage case, only $8 more for that. They are good quality, sturdy, and have taken much abuse over the past year and have held up well. They're not quite as nice as the Melissa and Doug puzzles (they don't have the little knobs, for instance) but for the price, you can't beat it.

I found similar ones at Target; these include one extra puzzle and a storage case, but for $40.

But $8 for educational puzzles? Works for me!

Be sure to visit Shannon for more Works for me Wednesday.

Photobucket

19 comments:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

You and me, sistah! Wooden toys all the way! :-)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

That is so cool! My boys have some similar ones and they were very instrumental in helping K learn to read. Jay and Noah are getting there too.

Sara@iSass said...

I was not a fan of puzzles and I'll tell you why. I worked in a toddler room for 3 years, puzzle pieces everywhere. I hate messes. Roo got a giant puzzle for christmas, the boy is wicked clever. We now have a cart full of puzzles. He is very cautious not to make messes with the pieces and I love him for that! :) Someday I can see us working on a 1000 or 2000 piece puzzle together.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Umm, that totally works for me!! I'm definitely going to order those. Thanks for the tip!
Oh,and I love K O H L S, too. :)

Colored With Memories said...

i'm just impressed that you still have all the pieces...way to go mama!

i've been known to cut the missing letter out of cardboard and paint it so there isn't an empty spot.

pet peeve shall we say?

The Savvy Mama said...

Gotta love a great deal! My kids are puzzle fanatics.

Gretchen said...

Oh, the memories of those wooden puzzles...so sweet. We lurved the hand puzzle mightily.

And Kohls, well, that "works for me" just about any day of the week!

Mozi Esme said...

Looks like a great deal! Esme is finally starting to get the hang of wood puzzles (not just taking out but putting back in, too, with a teeny bit of help)...

There's an award on my post today for you.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

OOOH, Mr. Perfect would love that! ;)

Tracey said...

Thanks for the tip...I ordered a set and a letter train!!

creative gal said...

I love it!!

RosyRose said...

Aren't puzzles so much fun!
My kids have always loved them!
And Kohls??? I'm with you sister. Have you ever been there when there isn't something great "on sale"?Our Kohls is right beside Target so I like to think of it as a double bonus!

RosyRose said...

Aren't puzzles so much fun!
My kids have always loved them!
And Kohls??? I'm with you sister. Have you ever been there when there isn't something great "on sale"?Our Kohls is right beside Target so I like to think of it as a double bonus!

RosyRose said...

Sorry! I'm such a dork!

Amanda said...

though my elizabeth looks just like her daddy i knew she was really mommy's girl when during "c" week she told me repeatedly..."mommy...c is for cvs!". my little shopper!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Is it horrible that I find puzzles to be such a nuisance? Anytime my children play with them, the pieces are everywhere! But, you are right about them being a very good educational tool.

By the way, your floor is very clean. Would you come clean mine? Pretty please? That is the floor, right?

SarahHub said...

I love that she spells Kohl's!

jennifer said...

Great idea!

Carolina Mama said...

These are great! And Kohls. My girlfriend keeps reminding me. I go through stages with it. :)