Sunday, December 21, 2008

I should have just worn a baseball cap. And a winner!

Is there anything more awkward than randomly running into your (former) hairdresser, trying desperately to pretend that your hair is not about 5 inches shorter than when she last saw you?

I think not.

I was shopping at Walmart on Friday, trying to remember everything I needed for Christmas while juggling numbers in my head to make sure I didn't go over my budget. In the midst of my deep contemplation, I heard someone say, "Hey, you!"

I glanced up and didn't recognize her at first. Then slowly the fuzziness fled my brain and it dawned on me...My hairdresser! Oh. no. I have NEVER seen her before outside of the salon, and of all times to run into her, it had to be after I went somewhere else and got my hair chopped.

My mind raced as I alternated between wishing my hair would magically grow 5 inches to wondering if she noticed. Worse, I was so worried about what she was thinking that I could barely make any type of decent conversation with her. Should I explain? I promise, I only got it cut because I was in Indiana and I couldn't pass up a $15 haircut at the Aveda Institute, not because I don't like you, because I do, I really really do!

Naturally, being the don't-rock-the-boat kind of person that I am, I said nothing. We chatted about her kids and Christmas and gift-buying, and she never once mentioned my hair. But I know she noticed.

Awk-ward.

Weird, isn't it? That whole feeling that you've "cheated" on your hairdresser...anyone else been there? I know, it's my hair, I can go where I want, and I shouldn't worry about it, but still...weird.

Moving on...

I know I have missed the last few HFTH updates. Last week Missy forgot to put up Mr. Linky until Friday night, so that was my excuse for not linking up. However, I actually did lose another pound last week, so that puts me at 5 pounds total. I think it's obvious that unless The Biggest Loser calls and invites me to be part of a special Christmas episode, I'm not going to reach my original goal. It would have been nice, sure, but I'm not completely disappointed...I mean, I still lost 5 pounds during the holidays. I know better than to complain about that. But I know I have a long way to go, and so even though the HFTH sisters will probably not continue, at least in any unified fashion, I will still be plugging away on my own. I will not be sorry when all of the Christmas baking and birthdays and temptation are behind me and I can start to focus again.

Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes you have sent my way...I appreciate every single one! I had a lovely birthday today - the highlight was when Savannah insisted that the cheesecake squares that I was making for the cookie exchange was my birthday cake, and that I needed to light a candle right then and there so she could sing Happy Birthday to me. I lit my Christmas Cookie Candle, put it next to the cheesecake, and then proceeded to get all weepy and blubbery as she sang, "Happy Birthday, dear Mo-mmmmyyyyy". Tell me that isn't the best present ever. And then when I blew out my candle she got mad and told me to light it again because she was supposed to be the one to blow it out.

On to the giveaway...I plugged in the numbers to random.org, and the winner of a $5 Starbucks gift card is... Sara! Congrats...I'll be emailing you to get your address.

Speaking of Starbucks, my girlfriends took me out Saturday night to dinner and then for coffee afterwards, and my friend Tara talked me into trying the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. It was very good, but in my humble opinion it still does not hold a candle to my beloved Caramel Macchiato or the Peppermint Mocha. But now I can say that I've tried it.

Happy Monday!

Photobucket

31 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hey girl...glad you had a good B-day! 5 pounds congrats! I tried the Salted Carmet Hot Chocolate this weekend too and it was OK...but I agree...I still love my fav's! Happy Monday!

sara said...

Well first you need to know that your 5 lbs has traveled it's way to AR to ME!!! yikes! I have had way too much sugar lately! congrats on those 5 lbs!!

The story about your hairdresser was so funny. I felt uncomfortable right along with you!!! What is it about the hairdresser?

Finally, I think you got the best birthday present ever!! Your little girl singing to you is precious!!

RosyRose said...

Can I just acknowledge your pain with the hairdresser!!!! I have So been there! I always hope "maybe she didn't recognize me"....Yeah, right!
I have been "faithful" to my current hairdresser for a little over 6 years but I tried a new one this week that was closer and cheaper....I like my old one better:)
Hope you have a very Merry Christmas friend from blog land...

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

The hairdresser thing is SO funny! I can relate. I started having Dave do my hair color - and I used to have her do that too, so walking in there with freshly colored hair when hair cut time rolls around was a little awkward too. :)
So glad you had a great birthday! :) Savannah, what a cutie! :)

ttm said...

I wish I could have heard Savannah singing to you, I bet it was precious!

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

I'm sorry, but that hairdresser story is HILARIOUS. And yes, it's happened to me, too.

Except my hairdresser also happens to be one of my best friends so I always HAVE to confess (it always happens when I get an impulsive urge and she's out of town and so I have to run out to someone else... OR I cut it myself).

She always laughs and says I should know better by now (I should) and we're still friends.

And you deserve a huge pat on the back for losing 5 pounds in the middle of the holiday season!

PS- I thought the salted hot choc. was very good but yes, there are definitely drinks I love more.

Erin K. said...

Oh my - the Savannah story about the cake and the candle sounds like something Kaitlyn would do. Isn't it funny how they are so sweet one minute, and then incredibly bossy the next? (I'm sure they feel exactly the same way about us...)

Congrats on the 5 pounds! That's awesome!!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Cute post, girl~ I love the hairdresser story! I probably would have just said the same thing you said here though...who could pass that up??? I bet she wouldn't have!

I canNOT believe you LOST 5 pounds during the holidays!! You deserve some kind of trophy for that. I count it a HUGE goal if I can just keep from gaining anything during this time. I have yet to obtain even that! :-)

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great Birthday!

Gretchen said...

I'm so proud of your loss, Jackie! I gained what I lost and some more. Being in the production, I came home hungry every night and Hoovered my way up the scale. That's okay...I'll regroup and get at it again.

I hope your b'day was the best, and I simply love your header.

xxxooo

Growin' With It said...

hmm, so did you ever tell us how old you are now? i'll have to go back and look, cuz i'm sure you did.☺ glad you had a sweet bday.

the hairdresser saga. my bff was mine til we moved so let me tell ya about awkward. although i never tried getting it cut anywhere else, she always knew when i tried doing my own eyebrows. good thing she's my friend!

merry christmas sweet bloggy friend!
love ya,
linda

Rach@In His Hands said...

Oh, Jackie...that hairdresser incident sounds like something that would totally happen to me! Awkward things like that seem to occur on a weekly basis with me. :-)

SO glad that you had a great birthday!

Way to go on that 5 lbs!!! Good for you, girl, but like I've said before...you look fabulous!

Cheers,
Rachel

Mozi Esme said...

What a sweet happy birthday moment!

And congrats on the 5 pounds... :)

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

cOngrats about the 5 lb drop and the hairdresser story cracked me up

Tracy's Porch said...

I'm so glad you had a good birthday - Happy B-lated B-day!

The hairdresser story was great. Poor you! I would have felt the same way.

Colored With Memories said...

loved the hairdresser story. we ran into my ex at lowes a while back. thankfully lily was so enthused with her many arm tatoos (touching them and then looking at her own hand wondering why the paint hadn't rubbed off on her), that we didn't get to talking about hair!

that savannah! what a sweetie!

i am a lover of the salted caramel hot chocolate...but only if it's too late for a coffee...the skinny cinnamon dulce holds the keys to this girl's heart. glad you tried it though!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Oh the awkward moments!! I can relate! I'm glad you had a nice bd. Loosing 5 lbs is awesome anytime of the year, Good for you!

Penny said...

Oooh -- UNCOMFORTABLE! Lol! That actually happened to me, though, when I got about 6 or 7 inches chopped off...I was like, "Um...please still like me!" LOL!

Penny said...

BTW, I'm glad you like Starbucks, because you won my PIFG!! Congrats! E-mail me your home address at robertsjudimc@hotmail.com please. Merry Christmas!

Jamie said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday!!! Your little girl is precious...I love to hear kids sing!

I loved reading your hairdresser story...I've been there before.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Funny story.

I also love the birthday candle/cookie story. Too cute!

Rachel said...

Whenever I bump into my hairdresser I look terrible! I saw her on Black Friday when I had just thrown on a baseball cap and headed out the door. Thankfully she did not see me and I convienently slipped down another aisle. I can totally relate to your embaresment!

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!!

The Fritz Facts said...

Two days after I chopped my hair off, I ran into my former stylist. Very awkward!

jennifer said...

OH NO!!!!

That is seriously a nightmare scenario...

How is it that you can visit a different dentist, manicurist, or get your oil changed by someone other than the normal person and it's not considered "cheating", but with the hairsytlist, it is?

It's a social phenomenon.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

God's Girl said...

How funny. I enjoyed reading your blog. i just stopped by to say hello. I pray that you have a wonderful new year!

Julie

Becky said...

Oh my goodness! I know that hairdresser cheating feeling! So funny that we feel that way!!
I'm sure she would understand!

Miss Lisa said...

It's worse than an old boyfriend isn't it?!

I am curious about the salted caramel--I know I've had salted caramels and they are divine!

Merry Christmas my friend :)

His Girl said...

I am so loyal to my hairdresser for this very reason.

though, a 15 dollar good haircut? don't think I could have passed that up either!

just getting caught up on blogreading... sooooo behind!

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Oh, your hairdresser story made me SQUIRM!! I never know how to handle situations like that. I usually do the opposite of you and OVER-EXPLAIN. It's never pretty!

Jodie | Velour said...

Jackie, hats off to you for losing 5 pounds! That's a great start - and during the holidays, no less. You're my very focused hero. :) I lost a few over Thanksgiving, but for Christmas I think I gained back about 2. *deep sigh* Maybe the new year will be magical and deliver some high-powered motivation with some everlasting sticking power. Probably not, but I do plan to get it back in gear next week when my kids get back to school.

Anyway, sounds like you're doing great. And yes, your hairdresser story made me squirm too. Things like that make me SO nervous. Why? It's such a silly thing, but it does feel like cheating. :)

Well, Happy New Year Jackie O! See you in it!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Love your hairdresser story. I've so been there. :)

And fyi, you MUST go back for another salted caramel but WITH a shot of espresso!! Perfection.