Thursday, June 04, 2009

I'm not really here....

I'm in the land of dial-up and humidity for the week, visiting family and celebrating my brother's birthday and enjoying country air.

I've sat here for 10 minutes waiting for the page to load so that I could put a cute little graphic of Indiana on here, but I give up. It's not happening.

I am also technically not here at my blog, either - I am guest posting for the lovely Jamie at Purposeful Pursuit today.

Here is the first part of the story....


Every night after dinner, my 3 year old daughter Savannah puts her hand in her daddy's and they walk across the street to the park.

She is a social butterfly if I've ever seen one, and the highlight for her is not playing on the swings or slide or monkey bars. No...instead, she cannot wait to go and find her friend, Ash-u-lee.

Ashley is 5, but somehow the age difference doesn't seem to bother either of them. Savannah is the little follower, running around after her, and she thinks that Ashley walks on water. Every night she comes home with stories..."Ash-u-lee said I could come to her house....or, Ash-u-lee is going to have a Dora birthday party, Mama!....or, Ash-u-lee gave me a piece of gum tonight! Which, by the way, she promptly swallowed, since she has no clue what to do with gum.

So all was well, and they got along famously. Until a few weeks ago...



Click over here to read the rest of the story.

And then, if you have it, thank the Lord for your high speed internet.

17 comments:

Aspiemom said...

Your post really spoke to my heart, Jackie. You have such a gift with words!

Poor, sweet Savannah! She's so young for these lessons of life. Thanks for reminding us of what is important in our kids lives.

(Your husband sounds like a fantastic Daddy!)

Erin K. said...

Oh dear. I am SO not ready for those moments. I'm really, really not ready.

However, I look back and realize that I wasn't really ready to become a mom, and I wondered what in the world I'd do when we reached the discipline stage, and I didn't think I was ready for potty training, etc. So I know the readiness will be there when I need it. :) (Hmmm - this sounds like the beginning of a blog post...)

Thanks for sharing this story. Have fun with your family here in Indiana!

sara said...

Have a great time with family!! I'm heading over to read your post.

I am thanking the Lord for high speed internet AND air conditioning!! :)

Amber said...

Cruisin' on over to read the rest of the story. Just by your comments already, it must be a doozy.

And dial-up? *Shudder*

Jodie | Velour said...

Jackie,
Amazing, as usual. You have such great perspective, and I love reading about how you see your world.

I am thankful for high-speed internet, to be sure, but I could really use come country air...

H-Mama said...

Jackie, that was beautiful!! Really. Savannah is adorable and your hubby sounds like a fantastic daddy. It great to have their time documented too. :)

The Fritz Facts said...

That is something that we each deal with at some point, with a broken heart each and everytime.

Your husband is a wonderful man, ready to scoop up her pain and be there.

Juice said...

What a bitterseet story. You have a wonderful husband. Sav is lucky to have such great parents!

Sara@iSass said...

ARGH! I sometime hate little snotty girls.
Phew, I feel better now.
Butter has had this happen everytime we get together with Rob's extended family. One girl in particular is quite RUDE. When I ask Butter about it, she says "I don't care Mom, I like playing with the boys anyway. Tyler is my favorite."
Umm, Tyler is a 17 year old who fawns on the little ones, chases them and plays and teaches them cool stuff like how to burp and play Lacrosse.
She totally has a crush on him. Now, for the day when she likes a boy at school and he treats her bad, Rob will have to hold me back so I don't slap him. Ahem. I mean tell him that gentleman don't treat ladies like that...
I love Savannah's spunk...must run in the family. :)

Unknown said...

Beautifully written, Jackie. It brought tears to my eyes. It made me desire to double my efforts to teach my children politeness and putting others feelings before themselves.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Oh Jackie.....I'M getting all teary-eyed reading this. Those disappointments can be SO SO hard especially for a little child, but how wonderful to have love surrounding you.

You're in IN!? Me too! :-)

Carrie said...

Oh, I haven't read the rest...but I see it's going to create tears...I'm glad I've been warned... So you're "Back Home again...in Indiana..." are you singing with me...LOL! Have a great time with your family :)

Unknown said...

Oh Jackie such a sweet, sweet story. Your little girl is growing up...that is also one thing I will not like about my little ones growing up...kids can be so mean!

Unknown said...

Having to grab the tissues here. And I feel your pain about the dialup. I live it 24/7!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Just read your guest post. So hard when we see our kiddos hurting!

Enjoy the time with your family. At least you have dial-up. We've got nothing when we visit some of our family!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I hope you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy that good clean air & happy birthday to your brother! :)

Genny said...

So fun to stop over and read your posts again. And I love your new site design!

Great to be back,
Genny