Monday, June 29, 2009

Swimsuit dilemmas and spots

For the past two weeks, Savannah's been in swimming lessons.

Excitement was at an all time high as we got ready for the first lesson, due in large part to the fact that she discovered she had three different swimsuits to wear.Because goodness knows one isn't enough when you're 3 years old.

We've been very blessed with various people showering 3T swimsuits upon us.

We had a slight hiccup in the swimsuit rotation on the 3rd day, however, when she went to pull on her Dora swimsuit. Wearing the purple suit and the red suit on the previous days had been just fine, but Dora was most definitely the icing on the cake.

Except that, as she paraded around the house in it, I noticed that Dora Swimsuit was sort of falling down on the job.

I know they say that you are supposed to get a high-cut leg on your swimsuit to make your legs look longer and leaner. But I didn't know that applied to toddlers, too. Seriously, this swimsuit rode up so high on her legs, and there wasn't enough material in the back to cover the little tush.

I happen to think that little baby tush is about the cutest thing in the world, but I am not necessarily a fan of showing it off at the public pool. And I knew her daddy would most definitely have a thing or two to say about it.

So we got an impromptu lesson in modesty when I told her that too much tush was showing. To make it a little less painful, I told her she could run around the house in it all she wanted.

That was good enough for her.

So (switching gears here, lest you think the previous story is continuing....)last Thursday, as I was getting her out of the bath, I noticed a sprinkling of peculiar spots on her tummy and chest. She had fallen at the park that night, and face-planted into a pile of wood chips, so I thought maybe it was from that.

Being a good mama, I did the whole 20 questions thing..."Did you fall on your tummy? And your chest, too? Does it itch? Does it hurt? Are you sure? It doesn't itch? For sure??"

She finally sighed a big dramatic sigh, and said, "Mama, you don't ask me that anymore, ok?"

Alrighty then.

So I chalked it up to a bunch of little wood chips having impaled her, until the next morning when the spots seemed to have multiplied overnight. Which is when I began to channel my inner doctor, via Google, and realized that it had nothing to do with wood chips.

I'm pretty sure my baby has chicken pox. A very mild case, but still. Pretty sure it's the pox. So far it has followed the exact progression that Google promised that it would.

My hubby is out of town this week, and so we are going to be cooped up in the house for at least 5 days straight while we wait for these awful little things to run their course.

However, I am very, very thankful that they aren't itchy and painful, like I remember them to be when I had them, oh, 26 years ago or so.

But enough about that...

I am weeks and week behind in my Project 365 endeavor. So here's two collages - the first is from Memorial Day and our trip to the mountains. Notice the two cannisters of Pringles, a very, very rare treat at the Moments and Memories household, being held in Savannah's death grip.She refused to put them down for the entire 2 hours that it took to get to our picnic site.





The second is from our Indiana trip. My brother turned 30, and Savannah had the honor of picking out what kind of cake he should have. She picked guitar. That made them both happy.




Sara, thank you so much for hosting!

17 comments:

sara said...

Great pics!!!

oh the chicken pox. I would tell you to still do the oatmeal baths because as they pop and scab over is the time they really itch.....both my older kids had fairly mild cases, but my youngest got the worst case I have ever seen. We stopped counting at 100 on his face alone!!

praying you get through them quickly!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Me and Savannah could relate on swimsuit issues. Although mine wasn't Dora and it was more tummy than tush issues - but anyway...

Sorry to hear about the chicken pox - but it does sound like she got a mild case. I had them when I was 11 and I was AWFUL! I wanted to crawl out of my skin. So, naturally, I ran around the house whining about how uncomfortable I was. My poor mom.

I hope you survive your days cooped up at home... And have good mommy daughter times in the process.

As you know, I am not used to Dave being gone - pretty much ever. :) I'm that spoiled girl who's husband works 8 hours a day, rarely gets over time, and is usually home by 3 in the afternoon.

Well, he just signed up for a week long wilderness trip with some guys from church. Next month I will most definitely have some adjustments. Not only will he not be here - we won't have any contact either. He will be too far out in the wilderness to have phone service.

Wish we could hang out... :) I'm just not brave enough to head down there with 3 little ones and my growing belly though... :)

Okay - long enough comment for now I guess. :)

H-Mama said...

Of all things! Poor Savannah... and Mama. I hope they heal quickly! It seems we are the ones asking too many questions at times... My girls will say, "Can we not talk about this anymore?" :)

Looks like you had a great picnic & bday party. Fun!

Carpool Queen said...

We've not had the joy of the pox at our house, and my husband's sweatin' it because he never had the pox as a child.

I, on the other hand, had a VICIOUS case of it and still bear the scars in a couple of places.

Every year I hold my breath!

The Fritz Facts said...

The poor thing. Hope it stays mild and doesn't last long.

Colored With Memories said...

poor thing! hope she is all better soon!

Kendra said...

I'm with you. I hate to see little kids in immodest swimsuits. Just old fashioned that way.

Did you have the chicken pox shot when she was a baby? If so, then maybe it's not the pox. If not, then good luck with that! Sick itchy kids are not fun!

Gretchen said...

Sorry about the CP, friend. Glad it's not a huge case. I had them bad as a little girl, and then had the pleasure of Shingles as an adult. I had taken prednisone for my asthma, and poof--immune system down, shingles up.

Those pictures are wonderful. Especially lurve the one of (?)your dad pushing her on the swing.

Lisa said...

Great pictures! Looks like you found a beautiful place in the mountains. Did you camp there?

Good to get the pox over with now, definitely!

Mrs. H said...

I'm so sorry she has the "chicken pops". I hope she is already better and that it doesn't get any worse! Bless her heart!

Unknown said...

We some how got bestowed upon us several swim suits and I can totally relate to the modesty issues.

So sorry to hear about the chicken pox, but I'm glad they aren't bothering her.

Rachel said...

I am afraid your swimming suit drama has only just begun! It is so hard to find one that fits right in all the right places for my 3 girls. Even the ones we got at Old Navy I look at this week and wonder if I made a right choice. Do they hang to much in this area? Are they too tight in another? Oh the bother!

Did Savanah get the vacine? Faith did and still got them but they were so minor that I was not sure they were real. I am so thankful that modern medicine has made them something that is so minor!

Amanda said...

oh how i hear you on the bathing suit issues...ugh! :) and dear savannah and the chicken pox...ugh! :) LOVE all the pictures....and praying you are enjoying your time even while cooped up with chicken pox!

RosyRose said...

you are right there is not much cuter then a naked baby tush! I always loved how sparkely my babies looked as they ran from the bath tub to their rooms!:)
And the chicken bumps...oh dear! Is she very itchy?
Sweet pics too!

H-Mama said...

oh dear, it seems i'm not the only one up at this crazy hour! :)

when i clicked on 'publish' for your comment under my 'tickled pink' post... it disappeared altogether. ugh. sorry.

gilmore girls was cancelled after the 7th season. so sad. i watched every episode for the 1st time within the last couple of months... talk about a marathon! loved it, but hate that it's over. :(

Unknown said...

Get better soon!

Missy said...

It's GOOD that she has the chicken pox now. Very good.

The whole chicken pox vax worries me because, from what I understand, they have to get boosters into adulthood and please, as if. So if they get it as adults, they are supposed to be much much worse and make them at higher risk for shingles.

I kinda long for the good old days when you just got it as a kid and got over it.