Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Princess for a day...

Savannah saw a wedding picture of us the other day, and I think for the first time she realized it was us, her Daddy and Mommy. She gazed at it with something akin to awe, and then whispered, "Mama...were you a princess? Is that your crown?"

7 years ago, on June 1, 2002, I got to be a princess for a day.

We planned an evening outdoor wedding, thinking how romantic it would be to get married as the sun set.

There was just one tiny little problem. That morning, the skies opened up and it poured rain. Water pooled in the yard, and everything turned to soggy mush. We thought about implementing plan B and moving it to a church somewhere, but I just didn't want to.

So we prayed. A lot. And sometime in the afternoon, the sun came out.

The day turned out to be so gorgeous. It wasn't without flaws, or course - it was a little too breezy, and so we weren't able to do the unity candle. And we had two huge flower bouquets that were supposed to grace the sides of the arch where we stood to say our vows, and it was even too windy for that - they kept blowing over.

But none of that mattered. What mattered was this:






And this:



And this:


And all of that crazy rain produced this amazing sunset....








He's still my Prince Charming. And I'm still his princess, even if I don't get the chance to don my "princess crown" much these days.

(On a side note...Savannah is looking over my shoulder as I type this, and keeps asking, "But where am I, Mama?")

Thanks to Kelly at Kelly's Korner for hosting!

28 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautiful pictures! You were (and are) lovely!

Skoots1moM said...

lovely pictures
thx 4 sharing them with us
so so pretty

Aspiemom said...

Beautiful pictures! Savannah is so cute! Does she get that she wasn't there?

H-Mama said...

beautiful, jackie! lovely pics. i love that our babies can't imagine life before them... it's hard for me to remember that time as well. ;)

Maya's Musings said...

7 years! I know that in my head but when I saw it written it kinda shocked me a bit. Beautiful pics, love it! My, but how time flies when you are having fun :)

Love you and miss you!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh Jackie - so amazing! You are just gorgeous!

Fun to see our hubby's with hair too huh? :)

And I love that you stuck to your dream of an out door wedding at sunset! Good for you, that sunset picture is awesome!

Amber said...

Aw...I love wedding pictures.

You are GORGEOUS!!!!!!
Beautiful wedding!!!!

Sara@iSass said...

OOOH, look at you guys! You make a lovely couple! Love the dress, and your hair, SO pretty, classic princess.
Isn't it cute when the little ones ask where was I? Nick is just now becoming fasinated with learning he grew in my belly, why just tonight at dinner he says "Mommy, how does the eggs get in your belly? DO you have to eat chickens?"
He's so clever.
I am happy to here that the rain stopped for your big day. I planned mine in the winter, you KNOW there will be snow. But there wasn't a flake in sight. Weather is so tricky.

LuAnn said...

Glad the rain stopped. Pretty sunset picture.
YOu both look wonderful and love the stang

Rach@In His Hands said...

Oh, Jackie!!! I'm getting all teary-eyed looking at these pictures - they are SO gorgeous!! You are the loveliest bride and your prince is a MAJOR hunk.

Thanks for sharing, girl!

Lisa said...

A princess, for sure! I like your dress and flowers...everything looks beautiful! Fun for Savannah to see them, too. So glad you shared!

Cheri said...

Beautiful pictures! I love looking at other people's wedding photos!

Mrs. H said...

What a beautiful bride and groom! And what a gorgeous wedding! Happy Late Anniversary!

Unknown said...

So beautiful! Love the car.

Carpool Queen said...

Happy Anniversary! We had snow and ice on the steps of the church the day we married, so I was stressed that day about a guest breaking an ankle. Went off without a hitch.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!~ I agree with Savannah, you do look like a princess! And what a gorgeous sunset to go along with the beauty of the moment.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!

You were a beautiful bride!

Gretchen said...

Wow. Great pictures of a wonderful day. You're both gorgeous there and still. Savannah is blessed tobe part of that kingdom.

Elena said...

I really enjoyed seeing your wedding pics again. I remember when you posted them last year. They are so beautiful. I loved hearing about Savanah's comments on your pictures. So, precious!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you were SO gorgeous! Love all these pics!!! You haven't changed a bit, either. :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Loved this! The details made the story. And you guys were gorgeous.

Grace Acres said...

the second picture is absolutely priceless.

Mozi Esme said...

Beautiful wedding! And I love S's perspective on things!

Missy said...

Aw, I love it!! Happy (late) Anniversary!!

Mamajil said...

What beautiful pictures!!! Happy belated anniversary!

ttm said...

I love remembering that day and how happy you were! I can't wait for Savannah's day to be a princess!

Genny said...

Such beautiful pictures, Jackie! Fun to see.

Thanks again for the great site design...I'm loving it!

Penny said...

Wow. You are so gorgeous!!!