Friday, January 11, 2008

I dream of Potatoes

For those of you whose weakness is your sweet tooth, you won't relate to this. I am talking, of course, about the love of my life, potatoes. Ah, what I wouldn't give right now to curl up with a nice steaming dish of mashed potatoes. At this point, I'd even settle for a plain baked potato with absolutely nothing on it. But I recently learned that the glycemic index of this most beloved food is an 85. Now, a month ago, I had no idea what glycemic index even meant. Still not sure that I totally understand it all, but suffice it to say that since I may or may not be insulin resistant, I am playing it safe and staying away from all white sugar, white flour, and....potatoes. Sigh.

We went to Furrs on Tuesday to eat dinner. Now, since the whole prospect of starting the new business came up, we have drastically cut our lifestyle, which includes going out to eat. However, we had a coupon, plus a little gift certificate, and we calculated that the 3 of us could eat for under $10. That was too good of a deal for even frugal folks like us to pass up, so off we went.

Here is what Ricardo ate:

Chicken Fried Steak (smothered in gravy)
Chopped Sirloin Steak (smothered in gravy)
Mashed Potatoes (need I say it? smothered in gravy)
Green Beans
Strawberry Fluffy Salad
Bread
Chocolate Pie

Here is what I ate:

Baked Fish
Tiny bit of Roast Beef
Green Beans
Broccoli and Carrots
Corn
Cucumbers and tomatoes

Now I ask you....if you were Savannah, which plate would you want to eat off of?

Exactly.

As I usually do, I dished up a bowl of delicious vegetables for her. She took exactly 3 bites before the Strawberry Fluffy Salad caught her eye. That signaled the end of the voluntary veggie eating. She whined and pointed and asked for the Fluff. Of course we told her, no, eat your vegetables first. Well. This did not go over so well, as you might imagine. She had a little bout of tears because she was so hurt over Ricardo telling her no, so she ended up coming over to me and sitting on my lap as I attempted to eat. At this point, I happened to look at Ricardo's plate and saw that he was already eating the Fluff and the Pie. I looked at my plate....I had most of my food left. I thought a few unkind thoughts about how it always ends up being the mom that doesn't get to eat until about an hour into the meal at a restaurant (ok, I'm exaggerating), but Ricardo must have read my mind, or maybe seen the look on my face, because he told Savannah to come to him. Of course she was more than happy to go, and got in on her fill of Fluff and Pie. Ahem. Just so you don't think we are terribly irresponsible parents who let her eat whatever she wants, after her little foray into Dessert Land, she did end up coming back to me, and eating all of her veggies, roast beef, the cucumbers, and fruit. We decided that from here on out Ricardo is going to have to wait to get the pie until the very end.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I love vegetables. But the comparison between your two meals was one of the saddest things I have ever read.

I LOVE potatoes. Any kind of way. My husband says they are just big tasteless chunks of starch. Pshaw.