Saturday, January 19, 2008

More than Enough

I won't lie, I have been a little nervous about the new business venture. A little apprehensive. Ok, a lot apprehensive. It's not that I believe that Ricardo will not do well, because I know that he will be a success at whatever he puts his mind to. It's just....well, the not knowing. Not knowing how soon things will take off. Not knowing how long our emergency fund will hold out. Not knowing how much he will have to travel initially and how many nights he will be gone out of town. These things and more have kept me up for more than a few nights. I've gone over the budget again and again, whittling it down to make it stretch as far as possible. I hate to admit that I have worried over it, because that sounds like such a complete lack of faith.

I read a verse the other day that jumped out at me. It was Proverbs 27:27. This is what it said:

"You will have milk enough for your food, and for the food of your household, and for the maintenance of your handmaidens."

It was so simple, but just what I needed at this time. I am not big on pulling verses out of the Bible to make them fit whatever need I have at the moment. But, this one just really hit me all on it's own. The preceding verses are pretty great, too. Verse 23 says to be diligent to know the state of your flocks. Verse 24 says riches are not forever. Put it all together and there is such a perfect balance. God expects us to work hard at what He's given us to do; He expects us to be diligent in knowing what state our business is in, to use the talents He's bestowed on us. But He didn't give us this so that we would worry ourselves sick about it. He doesn't want us to get so wrapped up in the riches, the money part of everything, that we lose our focus. He'll take care of us. We will have enough because we have Him. And that's all I need. Just Him.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Here's another one for ya:

So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Matt 6:31-34