Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Coughing - the stuff memories are made of

You know you have been sick too long when the constant coughing becomes such a normal part of the day, and your little one informs you, "Mama, I LIKE coughing with you."

And then the next day, when a friend drops by, she tells her, "I lay in bed with Mama and cough."

So that sums up what we've been doing the last week or so...apparently nothing more than lying in bed and coughing.

Ricardo was gone for a good part of last week on a business trip to Arizona, and along with taking our one precious computer that we share, he also took our camera. So I have nothing to show for Week 4 of Project 365, which kind of bums me out. Not that you would want to see pictures of Savannah and me lying in bed and coughing, since that's all we did.

But really, I should have had him take my 365 pics for me, because his week sounded way more interesting than mine. He even got to eat at a sushi place for the first time - which I would have LOVED to have pictures of...I never thought my burger-lovin' hubby would try sushi. At first he said he liked it, but then when I pressed him further to see if he would go again (with me, this time), he backpedalled a little and said it wasn't quite on par with a burger.

Which reminds me of this...for awhile now, probably the past 2 or 3 years, we started a ranking system for the new foods that I try out on him. The scale is 1 - 10, with 10 being out of this world and 1 being fit only for the garbage disposal. Most of the time he gives the dish about an 8 or 9, which isn't too shabby, and occasionally he will bestow a 7 upon something mediocre. But he never goes below that, which leads me to believe that the scale is too extensive and that I should revise it somehow. Maybe from 5-10? or 1-5? Or maybe he just doesn't want to hurt my feelings.

So last night I made a chicken dish, which scored a 9 1/2. The highest yet. When I asked him what would score a 10, he looked at me sheepishly and said, "A burger".

Ah, I love that man.

After our oh so impressive (ahem) 9 1/2 meal, we put Savannah to bed and sat down to watch Fireproof. Good, good movie. I was really impressed that a movie that had such a strong message of salvation and love and commitment to marriage had been in the theaters as long as it was. But it was great to snuggle with Ricardo and watch something so uplifting. And it has made me think about what I can do to encourage this man of mine better every day.

Clearly, randomness seems to be the order of the day today - I'm gonna blame my addled brain on all the coughing.


Photobucket

35 comments:

Sincerely Anna said...

Of course you need to now share that 9 1/2 chicken recipe with us! Hope your cough gets better soon.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Jackie, my long-lost-blog-sister, can you guess what my hubby and I are watching tonight!? I can't wait to see Fireproof!

I am in need of some different recipes....please share your 9 1/2!!

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Well, but I think you're right! She probably WILL have fond memories of laying with you "sick" for a whole week. And probably won't remember the bad parts, just the mommy time.

Hope you at least lost a pound or two from being sick. ;) (I always say that's the silver lining in having a stomach bug.)

Unknown said...

I'm so ready to see Fireproof.

Sorry about the cough.

Colored With Memories said...

i've never read a funnier post on coughing. come to think of it, i've never read a post about coughing.

i give it a 9.5 :)

hope you are better soon. and i was looking for a movie rec for our snowed, ahem iced, in evening tonight. i'll see if they have fireproof...i had forgotten about it!

Wendy said...

Hey, Jackie! Hope y'all are finally done with the coughing. I myself have been sneezing a lot for the last couple of days. Really loudly. I'm trying not to go out in public.

I'll have to see if the video store has Fireproof - I haven't seen it yet.

SarahHub said...

Only you can make a nagging cough into something funny! I sure hope you and Savannah are better soon, so you can get out of bed and do something new!

Anonymous said...

Burger? Men are so predictable. :)

sara said...

I haven't seen fireproof yet...i really want to.

And I am with your hubby, I love me a good burger!!!

Aspiemom said...

I'm so sorry that you and Savannah have been sick!

Hey, does your husband like coleslaw on his burger? I had that for the first time a few months ago and loved it!

Heather of the EO said...

9 1/2!!! way to go!

I still haven't seen Fireproof, what's my problem?

Randomness is fun.

Get WELL!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I've missed you.
Man would I have been in camera and computer withdrawel if my hubby took them away with him... :)
Dave and I are planning a fun dinner and movie date - where we will finally see fireproof - in a couple of weeks. It is still in some theaters here.
I love your posts so much. Hope you are feeling better and better each day dear friend!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm sorry you've been sick!

And sorry you were without your computer and camera...yikes!

I passed over Fireproof at Blockbuster today. I was switching out our mailers for free rentals and I got The Women and Dark Knight instead. Just didn't think I was in the mood for Fireproof, but if you say it's good, I'll give it a try soon!

SmilingSally said...

I've heard so many good things about Fireproof. Our church is going to have a "date night" for couples and show it on Feb. 13th. Isn't that a neat idea?

Unknown said...

Nothing wrong with some randomness, hoping you're feeling better, I want the chicken recipe too, so post it girl! and I can't wait to see Fireproof too.

How about that for a random COMMENT!

Rachelle said...

I so want to see Fireproof...maybe I will talk Phil into it soon...

Sorry you are sick, but I have to admit this post made me laugh ;)

Mozi Esme said...

We've been joining you in the coughing marathon...

Burgers make my man happy, too. It doesn't matter if he just had them for lunch, he'll ask for them for supper, too!

I so want to see Fireproof, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope you feel better soon! I had the coughing thing for several weeks after Thanksgiving, and it is no fun.

And the randomness? It was all good!

Colored With Memories said...

saw fireproof tonight! had to go to 2 blockbusters to find one on the shelf. during the first five minutes i thought the acting was cheesy, but either i got over it or it improved...because it ended up being fantastic!

Jamie said...

Wasn't Fireproof a great movie?!?!

Hope that cough is cleared up soon!

Penny said...

Don't worry. I'm fairly random, too.

Amanda said...

i'm definitely needing that recipe for the 9 1/2 chicken dish. and love the randomness.

Elena said...

Dear Jackie, Sorry to hear that you were sick. I hope you are all better now. I know how weary a person can get from coughing. The only thing I hate worse than coughing is being nausious:) Have a blessed day! Elena

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Sorry you've been sick. We've had the same kind of fun going on around here. We've been through countless tissues and almost an entire bottle of Children's Ibuprophen. Hope you're feeling better.

My man would rate a burger a 10 too. Isn't it nice to have a husband who is easy to please? :)

The Fritz Facts said...

My Hubby would rank anything less that steak a 9, just the way he is.

I hope you feel better soon!

Tracy's Porch said...

I've been coughing with you from miles away. I feel like Ashley has watched way too much TV this week and I feel terrible about it.

Thanks for telling me about Picasa. Do you know I have that on my computer but rarely use it and have never played around with it. Now I'll have to. Go figure that I had the tool at my reach this whole time! You may see a collage soon :-)

Mrs. H said...

Girl coughing must be everywhere right now! I hope by now you are feeling much much better! And I would have to agree with everyone else and say that my hubby would love a burger...or steak any day!

Have a great weekend!

jennifer said...

LOL! I love listening to a toddler's thoughts on life. It's such a trip!

jennifer said...

ps -We've got the funk at our house too. Even little CHarlie has a cough right now. It breaks your heart to hear an infant coughing...

Growin' With It said...

i am so doggone picky with my own cooking. it takes a lot to get past a "1" on my list! hope you feel better soon and the cough says *see ya*!

Sit A Spell said...

Hi...new here...so sorry you've been coughing...not fun. I have not seen Fireproof yet...I've heard it's really good!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Oh, I hope you're feeling better soon!

My husband and I were supposed to have a date night last weekend to see Fireproof. But...we caught the stomach bug that has been going around. Ick. The sickness -- it's everywhere this time of year! Hang in there! :)

Elizabeth said...

I hate when my kids are sick, but I love all the extra cuddles and I know they do too!

We watched Fireproof the other night and it was better than I expected. The acting was tolerable and the message was amazing. It gave me a lot to think about!

I'm impressed that you survived a week without your computer. I need to try that sometime soon.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Well, if this is randomness, then keep it random, girl. The coughing hobby is cracking me up. Hope you are feeling 100% soon.

Sara@iSass said...

Goodness I feel like we haven't "talked" in so long!!!
We also had a Fireproof night.
We enjoyed the movie very much. I was SO nervous about this year, it's year 7 for us. You know 7 year ich and all that...happy to say there is NO itching in these parts. Still strong, still tight, still very very much in love with very few surprises. I think that is where the trouble starts. People "act" a certain way and then slowly let the gaurd down or the mask comes off and they don't KNOW that other person's real self because they held back for so long. I showed Rob the REAL me from the first day...what I found, through his love and devotion...that wasn't the REAL me at all. It was the me trying to survive in an empty world away from Jesus. Rob taught me to love myself enough to let Jesus show me his love. Now I love My Jesus, I love my Man more then ever and I love our children.
I hear the love boat theme in my head right now? DO you hear that???