Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Craftiness

*Oops, it looks like I had messed up my commenting feature....thanks to all of you that emailed me to let me know it wasn't working. I think I fixed it now...*

Oh, I wish I could go back and delete that last sentence from my last post - the one where I said I was doing a Christmas craft with Savannah. Because then several of you sounded oh so excited about it, and wanted to know what it was, and then - oh my goodness - I realized that what we were doing pretty much did NOT qualify as a real craft.

But I feel obligated to show it to you anyway, so don't laugh...




Yeah - we are really very good at cutting out Christmas-y shapes that we found online, coloring them, throwing on some stickers, and then stapling them to a red ribbon. Ta-da!

This is one of my new favorite sites for kid-friendly crafts - they have some really cute ideas that I want to try out with Savannah.

Today I have been combing the internet looking for some real crafts. And....wow. There are some super talented people out there. This banner for instance...so cute.



And these little trees...I think even I could make these. Except I don't have a sewing machine, which seems to be a pretty key element of this craft. Hmmm...




These cookies are gorgeous, they look like the real thing. Ah, someday... I will learn to make cookies like this.




But my absolute favorites are over at my bloggy friend Jennifer's place. She is amazing. For one thing, she is 38 weeks pregnant, has a toddler, and STILL she has the patience to do all of these incredible crafts. She gave a tutorial here on how to make some fun little signs, and here she made a really cute banner which I just love. I think she needs to open an Etsy shop.

So after browsing online all afternoon, I feel slightly more inspired to take on a real craft. And I am so open for ideas - what are some favorite things that you have done? Hopefully something easy...after all, you've seen my level of expertise.


Photobucket

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I'm sure that Savannah had fun making that craft with you. I loved some of the pictures you put up on this post and I will be checking out some of those sites. Love the banner and Christmas trees. I think I will try making some of my own.

Jodie | Velour said...

I think what you did with her is adorable and I just KNOW she'll have sweet memories from crafting with her Mama. :)

Also, the cone trees... I think I'm in love. :) Thanks for sharing. SOMEBODY will be getting those for Christmas. Probably me. :)

Cheri said...

I jsut thought it was my computer goofing up and not allowing me to comment!

I don't have much advice to offer - your craft is about on my level.

But ask yourself this - is it about the resulting craft, or the time you spend with you're daughter making it?

Hmmm

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I think the craft you did with Savannah is great! What kid wants to do a "Martha Stewart" inspired craft, anyway? :)

I love those little Christmas trees you showed -- I don't sew either, but I bet you could make them with scrapbook paper and get the same effect. Paper, a little double-sided tape and viola! Adorable Christmas trees for your holiday table.

Rachelle said...

Crafts are so fun! I bet Savannah had a blast and loved the special time with her mom!

Rachel said...

I also immediately thought of my giant pile of card stock when I saw the little trees. They would be easy-pesy!

Don't cut yourself short. A craft is a craft! It looks cute and I am sure Savannah loved it!

Glad your comment thing is working again!

Growin' With It said...

i'm the one who BUYS the stuff at craft fairs cuz i am sooooo not a crafty person. can't wait to see more of your stuff!

Aspiemom said...

I used to love making all those kinds of crafts with the kids when I was a Nanny and then with my step-daughter and son. It was so much fun. I'm glad you're doing those memorable things with Savannah. When you have little ones, there is nothing like homemade Christmas decorations!

Anonymous said...

Don't sell yourslef short. The banner you two made together will likely be in her top five favorite Christmas decorations. Right between the Rudolph with the light up nose and the nativity with the removable baby Jesus. Everybody has a variation of those things don't they? The removable baby Jesus my grandma used to have was always getting lost because we were so fascinated by it as children that we'd carry it around the house.

SarahHub said...

I think your craft is very nice!

And I feel the same about Jennifer. She makes the cutest crafts!

Jamie said...

You and your girl made an adorable crafty project. No good ideas from me...I'm not the crafty type and if I ever do something a bit crafty, it is never my own idea, I have to steal ideas from others.

Carolina Mama said...

That is too cute and it's your own - you and Savannah! Thanks for the other resources. ;)

And Congratulations on your Hot for the Holidays! That's admirable during this season especially.

Anonymous said...

I think the banners are adorable! I bet Savannah had a ball!

I'm totally with you on the sewing and cookie-decorating. It just ain't happenin' over here. Paper crafting is about the extent of my abilities.

Mrs. H said...

I love the craft you did with Savannah! I'm going to try it with my kiddos! If you know of any craft ideas for a 16 month old please let me know!

Gretchen said...

Awww...wish i could come over and craft with ya...

Very cute. I want to do that Merry sign...

jennifer said...

Look at you! Nice work, Sister!

Those cookies are to-die-for. Too pretty to eat. But I would. Totally. ;-)

Colored With Memories said...

yay! you fixed it! i tried to comment several times yesterday and couldn't figure out for the life of me what i was doing wrong.

hey, a craft is a craft...and that one totally counts. it's all about the quality time w/the girl, i think!

Lisa said...

Jackie,
I am so with you on the craft thing. The cut-out one you and Savannah did looks ambitious enough to me.

When people say "oh, its so easy, you just do such and such". Yeah, easy for YOU but I have such a hard time with the "such and such". But at this point our girls are so young they think we are so crafty, right? Give it another year... :)