Friday, November 21, 2008

HFTH - Week 5




A few weeks ago, Amy did a post showing how she did some exercises that she swore would eliminate or at least greatly reduce the dreaded muffin top - The Plank, The Superman Lift, and the V sit. I have been meaning to start doing these, but I kept putting it off, first because of my knee - it was hard to get up and down from the ground, excuses, excuses, blah blah blah.

Anyway, this past week I decided to try them. Looking at her demonstrations in the pictures, she makes it look quite easy. I figured it wasn't anything that I couldn't do, and so I got into position for The Plank.

Oh my word. I could barely even lift myself up. And then once I was up, my midsection was trembling violently, and I couldn't hold it for anywhere close to the 20 seconds. Feeling like a complete wimp, I tried the Superman, which was a little easier, and then the V sit.

I just about passed out.

So now you know just how out of shape I am.

The next day, my abs were burning. I could not believe it. I mean, after all, I had only done a few sets of them and had only been able to hold them for maybe 10 seconds. And here they were, burning away. Which was actually encouraging, because if I am going to go through that kind of torture, I want to at least feel like some kind of progress is being made.

That night I was talking to Ricardo. "Man, my abs are really sore. You oughta see these new exercises I'm doing. They are so. hard. I can barely lift myself into position,I shake so much when I'm doing them...here, you wanna see?"

And I promptly got on the floor to demonstrate. And to my great wonderment, I was able to push myself up much more easily into The Plank than the day before. Although my poor muscles were still shaking, much to my hubby's amusement.

And then he decided he wanted to try it. So we sat there, both doing the V sit, him steady as a rock, me trembling like a leaf. "This?" he said. "Is this all there is to it?"

I know. I wanted hurl heavy objects at him, too. In love, of course.

Then he added, "Oh, when I was in wrestling, they told us that if we were really strong, we should be able to do this..." and he stretched his legs out in front him, and lifted himself several inches off the ground.

Whatever. I am still going to take pride in the fact that I am up to 20 seconds, 2 sets, with the V sit. And in my book, that is progress.

Ok, now on to my HFTH progress report...I lost half of a pound this week. It shouldn't have excited me as much as it did, but I was expecting maybe nothing, so this was music to my ears. I might have even done a little victory dance to celebrate. 4 pounds down.

And now looms before me one of my most favorite days of the year. Family, fun....and food. Glorious food. I love everything about the Thanksgiving dinner, except for the cranberries. And I plan on eating a little of everything, while still showing a modicum of temperance. Mashed potatoes, here I come. And stuffing. And pumpkin roll...

My posting will probably be somewhat sporadic over the next week or so, as well as my blog reading and commenting...I've got so much to do in the next few days. Hope that all of your holiday planning is going well....Happy Friday!

Photobucket

22 comments:

Aspiemom said...

I enjoyed reading about your exercise adventure. I will have to check those exercises out, but not today.

Congrats on the half pound!

Your husband sounds so sweet and you sound very close. I'm glad he takes such an active interest in you. Sounds weird, but I know not all husbands do.

Mozi Esme said...

Way to go!

And my husband is just like that...

Mrs. H said...

Yea Jackie! 4 lbs is awesome! I wished I was losing...I'm gaining instead I am sure!

You've encouraged me to check out Amy's exercise advice! I'll let you know how much mine tremble, cause I guarantee mine will be trembling AND screaming at me!

Have a great Thanksgiving!
Krystal

Sara@iSass said...

I think man forget that our stomachs stretched out while carrying their children and we just don't have the muscle tone back, and theirs never WENT away!
It is fun to hear you girls who are doing this. It makes me giggle. I told Kerry over at Blessings that my headstone will read: Here lies Sara. She was a devoted wife and mother and she always ate dessert first. She lived a good and ate chocolate. She was happy. and that's why we need this crane to get her in the hole! Bwahhahahaha!
Congrats on the 1/2 LB that's what I ate in Candy Cane Joe joes today! JUST KIDDING!

Rach@In His Hands said...

The V-sit is hard, but it works great! 4 lbs - that's awesome!! Ricardo sounds like such a fun guy....have a fantastic week getting ready for the holiday and celebrating with family!!!

Gretchen said...

I say this with love when I tell you that Ricardo must be a freak of nature. :) I know exactly the shaking, quivering feeling of which you write. Not pretty. But GOOD FOR U for keeping on keeping on. And congrats on that 1/2 pound. Thats 2 sticks of buttah, baby! xxxooogretchen

Colored With Memories said...

i printed off the pictures of those very exercises and have been too intimidated to try them. you're brave to let your hubby watch!

good job!

so does cornbread or whitebread stuffing call your name?

sara said...

doesn't that make you mad when they just plop down and to it?!!! Those look hard...I peaked at Amy's post. I think I will try them tomorrow....when no one is around!!! :)

Cheri said...

I have to click over later after I walk the dog, make breakfast, throw some laundry in...

Is it any wonder why I don't get in more exercises?

Thanks for your words today at my blog. Once again, you don't know how much they mean.

ttm said...

1/2 lb, yay!! You're on your way! I love the comment about 3 sticks of butter, way to put it into perspective!

Elena said...

I'm with you on the excersises. I am so out of shape it's not funny! Sounds like you are doing good and best wishes on the upcoming holiday season!

Miss Lisa said...

Keep on trucking--you will be HFTH silly workouts or not ;)

No cranberries--email me, I make some very tasty cranberry dishes my ten year old can make :)

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Okay, Jackie, I think you've been God's answer to me on ANOTHER prayer! I am cancelling my membership at the Y this week because things are TIGHT (and I DON'T mean my buttocks!)

So I've been wallowing and whining trying to figure out what I can do at home that will actually work. I will try these, because my core muscle group is seriously lacking.

Seriously.

Thanks for the inspiration! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

SarahHub said...

I love when my muscles hurt from exercise! I know it's working! Go, girl!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

At least your scales are going down.....I am struggling right now. you keep up that good work, girl! :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm proud of you! Keep it up!

I was training for a 5K after my second child was born and it probably took me 3 months to work up to 3 miles. I mentioned to John that he should run it with me, and he went out and ran 3 miles right away. Without even really trying. Grrrrrrrrr...

But, I was thankful he wanted to do it with me. I guess they could just not care, huh?

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

4 pounds is fantastic! I'll have to give those exercises a try - they sound REALLY hard. I'm very impressed. I'm also very in touch with quivering muscles. I get those every time I do a push-up.

Good luck this week!

PS - I'm looking forward to Pumpkin Roll too! YUM.

Gwendolyn said...

I'm afraid to try the excercises myself. Walking is about as taxing as I get these days. LOL

Penny said...

I just like getting on my exercise bike in front of the TV, lol. I hate exercising sooo much!!!

Juice said...

Congrats on the loss!

Cheri said...

Okay - I've done them two evenings in a row. Ouch. But they are simple, quick exercises (not easy), just what I like (as much as one can LIKE exercises)

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

You're right - if you go through the torture, you'd better feel those muscles later too.

I feel the same way about a bruise. If I hurt myself enough to really hurt, it had better bruise so I have something to show off!

I put my cake pictures up. It wasn't the einstien cake, but it was the best I could do without the pan. Thanks for your help!

Pssst...I forgot to say - congrats on the half pound.