Sunday, March 08, 2009

Flowers are for picking, right?

My hubby has talked about planting a fruit tree ever since we were married. He had visions of bushel upon heaping bushel full of fruit, straight from our own yard.

So a couple of years ago he paid a visit to Home Depot, the store that can suck my hubby into its manly vortex faster than anything else, and came home with a little nectarine tree. I think the selling point of this particular tree was that it had 2 knobby little green nectarines on it, so he figured we were guaranteed to at least get something from it that first year. I should probably add that neither of us know the first thing about taking care of a fruit tree, we just stuck it in the ground and hoped that the tree would take over from there and do its thing.

Of course, about 2 days after we planted it, we went to Costco and saw people wheeling around carts with 6 foot nectarine trees, with a ton of nice looking fruit already hanging on the branches.
We looked at them enviously, but our little guy was already in the ground, so what could we do?

Those two little nectarines were all we got that first year. But we figured, surely the next year would be better, the year of the nectarine, the year of pie and fresh cobbler with maybe just a smidge of whipped cream on top. Except, it wasn't. We got nothin'.

But this year! Spring came in a sudden rush in February and everything burst into bloom overnight. Our nectarine tree was covered in gorgeous pink blossoms.

Last week Savannah was outside in the backyard, and I was "supervising", in the most lax manner possible, from inside the house, with the sliding door open so I could holler out occasionally, "What are you doing, baby?"

She was being particularly quiet so I thought it might be prudent to go take a peek.

All I can say is, she's a girl. And girls like flowers, pretty, delicate pink flowers that just beg to be picked.


Notice how the bottom two-thirds is stripped bare. Shows exactly how far she can reach. Once again our crop of nectarines isn't looking so hot.

A few more pictures from this (and last - I'm a slacker) week...







For more 365 pictures, you can head over to Sara's.

Have a great week, y'all!

26 comments:

Amy said...

my kids love the big red balls at target, too! i LOVE the bird picture.

Nise' said...

Love the blossoms peaking out on the trees!

sara said...

oh the blossom picking....so funny!!!!

Asparagus for .99!?!!!

I was just out today helping my neighbors daughter try to fly a kyte! not enough wind, but she kept trying bless her heart!!

Dena said...

Love all your pictures, and I'm getting such Spring fever seeing these great outdoor shots! We still have snow on the ground so we can't even put away our winter coats yet.

LuAnn said...

That is to funny with the blossoms. That will be fun to show her someday!

Cheri said...

When The Boy ws little, he was out in the flower beds helping me weed. His version of weeding? Picking the buds off every stinking lily. Every one.

I more closely "supervised" his weeding after that.

Becky said...

OK, your daughter is beautiful. We don't have those balls at the Target near here. And I know you don't think its funny, but I am snickerin' at the sight of your nectarine tree. At least any fruit will be too high for her to reach. :-)

Alana said...

That girl of yours is just such a cutie!

I am loving the spring blossoms, too. This week I was so happy when I saw my first Daffodil. Come quickly spring!!!

Growin' With It said...

loved this one. LOVED it! so absolutely precious thinking about her trying so hard to resist those beautiful flowers.

we tried to grow a peach tree in oklahoma once. hear that ONCE. not happenin'. plus what in the world grows in oklahoma anyways? dust!!

Jamie said...

Cute story! I would love to have a nectarine tree...I don't know if I could get it to produce much fruit though.

The last two weeks I have been able to find asparagus on sale for 98 cents a pound...love it! It's a favorite at my house.

Elizabeth said...

We had pear trees once, but we killed them. Your nectarine tree is looking pretty good from here!

Yummy asparagus, my favorite vegetable! And even better when it's cheap:)

Ah, story time. My favorite place to take my girl when she was little!

Aspiemom said...

At least a sly serpent didn't tell her to pick them!

That's such a cute story, What did you do with the blossoms?

Rach@In His Hands said...

That sounds like us and our lilac tree. I had one as a child and just the smell brings back such good memories. Unfortunately our little lilac isn't doing so hot, but I still have hope. ;-)

Your Savannah is the cutest thing EVER. Seriously. :-)

Wendy said...

I love your flowering pictures; even your poor nectarine tree! We still have a ways to go before anything blooms here. I've got something just starting to peek above ground (either daffodils or tulips) and I am eagerly awaiting the colors of Spring.

My oldest girl loves to pick flowers, too.

Tracey said...

I am worried with all this nice weather we are having that a cold snap is just around the bend and all these nice blossoms will be lost.

Unknown said...

Sweet pics! Your little one is such a cutie.

We have a satsuma (like an orange) tree and it is very temperamental. It only produces fruit when it wants to. We never know when that will be.

The Fritz Facts said...

Boo loves to pick the flowers off everything!! I can't have a plant that blooms to soon, they would all be gone!

The Fritz Facts said...

Boo loves to pick the flowers off everything!! I can't have a plant that blooms to soon, they would all be gone!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Why of course flowers were made to be picked! Every little girl is born with that knowledge. It is inate. :)

I just love that you captured that in a picture. :)

Unknown said...

That picture of her holding the kite string - love the look in her eyes as she looks up at the kite. I absolutely love capturing moments like that of my kids. Such sweetness...

Unknown said...

Well there's always next year! :)

We just purchased a nectarine and cherry tree. I can't wait to get fruit off of them.

Unknown said...

I really love your new make over...great job getting out to take photos of that ...that girl loves her some flowers!

Gretchen said...

As ALWAYS, great pictures. I lurve the one with Savannah's hair blowing across her cheek. So sweet!

And how could you ever be mad about those blossoms? xxxooo :)

Carla said...

Jackie, I have to tell you, whenever I read your blog and the things you write about what Savannah does or just how her little personality is, I say to myself, "that is sooooo Karina!" So then, I'm looking at your pictures and I see the one of her on the Target ball, and I about flipped! Karina has that SAME dress, and HER favorite thing to do at Target (because we only go like every other day...!) is to sit on the big red ball! So then I showed Abel the pictures of her and he was sitting accross the room when I showed him and he was like, "oh my gosh that's Karina!" I think they're kindred spirits that have never met! I'm sure they would be good little friends if they would ever meet. If Karina is sitting by me when I go on your blog, she always says, "who's that girl mommy?" And I tell her, it's Savannah, and she says, "awww, she's cute" I think their "look-a-likeness" is the combination that they got from their parents, a WHITE, midwest girl and a Mexican!! HAHAHA. Anyways, keep with the stories, I love how I can relate!

Colored With Memories said...

that poor tree...so stinkin' funny!

and from your other pics...i just don't know what to think...our target just has plain pillars out front...no cute red balls. thank goodness lily doesn't know what she is missing!

also...could you overnight me some of that asparagus?!? like 3 or 4 pounds!?!

Mrs. H said...

Flowers are definitely for picking! At least that is what my daughter would say!