Friday, March 27, 2009

A Challenge

I have such a love/hate relationship with my treadmill.

Hate it because, well, it's exercise. And also because my treadmill pretty much chewed me up and spit me out last fall, causing some major havoc with my knee. See how I blame that on my treadmill, instead of my innate clumsiness which we all know was the real reason for it?

But I do love the way I feel afterwards. And I also love the fact that it gives me an excuse to sort of have a "me" time every day. That right there should be motivation enough, right?

I put Savannah down for a nap - and yes, I know I'm lucky she still takes a 2 hour nap every day...let's not mention the fact that it's probably because she goes to bed too late and wakes up too early. In some strange twist she got both Ricardo's early bird and my late owl genes, so she is exhausted by mid-afternoon.

But it works for me - she goes down for her nap, and then I jump on the treadmill and watch whatever show or movie I can find on Hulu.com. Lately my show of choice has been Lost...talk about addicting....

But sometimes my motivation wanes, and so that's when I'm glad that I have many friends out in the blogosphere for accountability.

And this, invisible friends, is why I am jumping on board with the challenge that the lovely Linda at 2nd Cup threw out there this week - we are committing to exercise at least 30 minutes, 5 times a week.

So, I've been doing ok with the walking for an hour thing, and also some other miscellaneous exercises (killer V-sit, anybody?)

But I think I need to add something more, so for this challenge I am committing to add in my Tae-bo workout. If good ol' Billy Blanks can't whip me into shape, then no one can. He is the reason that I was able to lose 25 pounds several years back, before marriage and a hubby who can eat anything and not gain an ounce, before a sweet baby, before a tummy that now stubbornly refuses to recede to the nice flat shape of yore.

The challenge kicked off today, and there's nothing like starting it off with failure...I didn't do the video. I had so much going on today, so that's my excuse, although I still did fit in my hour on the treadmill. Can't win them all.

Linda would love it if you jumped over and joined in - oh, and it's only for 2 weeks. Although I'm hoping that she'll extend it longer...I need all the accountability I can get. There are already over 50 of us signed up, so the more the merrier.

And the main thing I like about her challenge is this - no awful "before" pictures need to be taken. She said she took some of herself, and then came to her senses and didn't post them, thereby letting the rest of us off the hook....big sigh of relief. Thank you, Linda.


17 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

I hear you on the accountability thing. My neighbor and I used to meet at 5 a.m. to go to the gym, but if she was travelling for work, do you think I got up on my own? Uh uh.

Way to go. I'm starting something on Monday. Anything.

Amber said...

Good for you. I hate exercise with a passion. But I'm trying to hang in there....

Rach@In His Hands said...

An hour on the treadmill??? That is AWESOME girl!
I ran my usual run outside and was then going to do a video....BUT American Idol came on - which is FAR more important ;-) -, so instead of the video I rolled out my pilates mat and did some sit ups/pushups/etc.

I love the no pics thing, too. :-)

Unknown said...

Wow, an hour!! Maybe that's why I never lost those nagging little pounds back when I tried. I didn't stay on the dang thing long enough.

I'm hoping to whip back into the shape I was two kids ago. There's a pic of me and Rachel when she was two and my tummy was so cute. It's my motivation. I would love to be that small again. Maybe there's hope.

Good luck, I'll "join" you in a couple of months or so :)

Rachel said...

Hang in there! I am wimping out and not joining up but it sounds like a great idea. I hope today goes better for you!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I hear ya with the treadmill :) Billy Blanks and I have been pretend friends for years, he's helped kick my butt into shape several different times too.

Hang in there, we're in it together!

elizabeth said...

The way I see it, an hour on the treadmill definitely counts as moving for 30 minutes. ;) It's a victory even if you didn't do the video yet....baby steps...

Mrs. H said...

OK, so my goal for the last 3 wks has been to work out 30 minutes 5 days a week. And for the most part I do ok...but I could do so much better. I might have to join too. Maybe this is what I need to kick my booty in gear...cause at this rate I am going to be 5 lbs bigger in a few weeks instead of smaller! I can't seem to lose a pound! Good luck with yours! You can do it!

Gretchen said...

I may or may not join, but I'm doing 3-4 days a week, and will strive for 5. So far, I've done my Wii Fit, but haven't been on my treadmill or to the gym since last week. Harder with a traveling hubby to get it all done, but that's no excuse. He has traveled; he will travel. I need to prioritize. You know, like prioritizing cleaning MY refrigerator, too. :)

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

That's a great idea! Unfortunately I'm still sore from my workout on... Monday.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I like the no "before" pics too. It's one of the reasons I signed up. :)

Unknown said...

I'm pulling for you friend! This is a challenge I'm sure I'll need after I get my back on my feet! You can do this, just don't let your treadmill chew you up and spit out out!

Sincerely Anna said...

Urgh, my husband is the same way about eating whatever he wants. Good luck in the challenge!

jennifer said...

oh the treadmill...

keep it up, lady! maybe i'll join you.
maybe.

love the new spring look on the blog!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

GIRL I AM KICKING IT IN ON THE EXERCISE TOO! I HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ABOUT 6 WEEKS AND I SEE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I am actually enjoying it now....i know that sounds crazy. =)

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Hey, I know I already commented, but I'm checking links - would you mind updating my link? Right now it's broken and going to who-knows-where.

THANK YOU GIRL!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I hate exercise, but I like the idea of accountability. I suppose it's never too late to start, huh? Maybe after I finish reading blogs....

About LOST--so good, and yes, so addicting!