Saturday, April 18, 2009

The vacation in my mind

If I could pick one of my favorite things in the world, sleeping in would be pert near the top of that list.

That might possibly make me sound lazy, but it's true. I love it. I don't always get to, but this fine Saturday morning, my hubby was home, and so he took care of Savananh while I blissfully snoozed away part of the morning.

At 9:15 I was half-awake and I heard him tell Savannah that they were going to take a walk. I sprang out of bed in my fuzzy state - fuzzy brain, fuzzy hair, fuzzy teeth - and stumbled to the living room where they stared at me as I announced that I wanted to go with them.

There is a truck stop about a half-mile or so away from our house, and this is where we occasionally rent our $1 Redbox movies. (Whoever invented Redbox? Genius.) We rented a couple of movies last night - Slumdog Millionaire for us, Dora for Savannah - and so they were just going to walk down the road and return them.

They waited for me to throw on some clothes and brush my teeth, and then we set off on our walk. It had rained all day yesterday, but this morning was bright and beautiful. There was a slight chill in the air so we wrapped Savannah in a blanket.

There is something....I don't know, special, I guess, about doing something with your family that you don't normally do. We take walks in the evening, but walking to a truck stop at 9:30 in the morning is not usually on our daily list of activities. We had to cross a busy street to reach it, and we were surrounded by the roar of semi-trucks speeding past.

We haven't taken a road trip in a long, long time, but just walking into the parking lot of that truck stop made me want to drop everything and drive to California. Or Pennsylvania. Or Idaho. Anywhere.

We returned our movies, and then Ricardo wanted to go look around inside. So we joined all of the travelers from everywhere wandering around and we wandered, too, looking at all of the over-priced packages of gummy bears and dried fruit, bratwursts riding a sizzling carousel under a hot light and cases of stale donuts. (To which Savannah said, "Hey, donuts! Can I have a treat?" Umm....no..) A lady walked by with a bag full of licorice, cherry red and green apple, and a guy stood at the coffee dispensing machine, and taste-tested all of the different flavors available, glancing around to see if anybody was watching him.

We didn't buy anything, just looked and people watched, and then left five minutes later. We walked away and I told Ricardo, "All truck stops are the same, aren't they? Don't you feel like you've just been on a little vacation?"

He smiled and nodded.

And then we walked back to our house, home from our mini-vacation.

27 comments:

jennifer said...

all truck stops ARE alike!

i love your writing style. I feel like I just went on your mini-vacation with you!

Elizabeth said...

I love this story! It is totally something we would do, and then laugh about it for years. There is something so cool about doing things as a family that you don't normally do. I know Savannah will remember it!

I have a special love for convenience stores, and I don't think they're all the same. Quik Trip is definitely better than Kum 'n Go around here! (and their icees taste so much better!)

Rachelle said...

You know I'm all for the road trip to PA! ;)

We watched Slumdog last night as well. I cried... It was so good!

Amber said...

I love truck stops! They are never short of things to see...and taste...and smell.

Your baby girl will remember this mini-vacation for a really long time!!!!! :)

And the RedBox....sure brillance.

Carpool Queen said...

I am the the Queen of the truckstop - Every year I haul my kids to OK by myself. I live at Pilot Fuel Stops. They have the best coffee. And the cleanest restrooms.

Loved your mini-vacation!

Tracy's Porch said...

Loved hearing about your mini-vacation. So special! I felt like I was right there with you.

bethany for the bergmans said...

I adore corner stores. I have many favorites across the great USA. That is one of the things I miss most, luckily they have 7-11 here in China. Corner stores in Canada are sooo cruddy, so don't drive there on your road trip.

Carrie said...

You are such a great story teller! If I had to write about walking down the street to a truck stop...it would have said just that! LOL! THat is so sweet that your husband let you catch some more zzzzz's. Isn't it great?! I have been spoiled in that way lately, too...and, yes call me lazy ;)

THanks for sharing your mini-vacation! I will look at our stops at the truck stop differently next time! Our family only lives about an hour north of us, but Alex ALWAYS has to stop and go to the bathroom!

Aspiemom said...

Great post, Jackie! You have such a gift with words.

My husband says that all truck stops are not the same! He says they are like restaurants and gas stations - good ones and bad ones.

Glad you had a nice little family mini-vacation. It sounded like fun!

How was Slumdog Millionaire??

Colored With Memories said...

what a fun way to tell a "truck stop story"!

and why wasn't TEXAS on your list?!?

i guess i'll forgive ya.

how was slumdog? i've seen those redbox things but haven't tried it...for a buck...i need to do that ASAP!

The Fritz Facts said...

I love truck stops. They are always the best part of road trips for me.

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I too am in love with sleeping in. Doesn't happen often, although the older the kids get the more Saturday mornings we get to sneek in some extra snoozes.

I loved the story too! It's funny how something so simple can be quite the adventure! It seems like it's those little things that stand out in your memory even more than the big ones!

I loved Slumdog Millionare, although it left me feeling a bit guilty for the way we all want for so much here in our country. What did you think?

Unknown said...

Loved the creativity of this post! People watching is a great past-time!

Tirz said...

I'm right there with you in sleeping in. I love me my naps as well! I loved Slumdog Millionaire and I loved the soundtrack too. What did you think of it?

Anonymous said...

You are such a good writer. When is your book coming out? :)

I LOVE sleeping in. It it my #1 guilty pleasure.

Penny said...

Oh, how fun!

I agree...sleeping is so wonderful. I only get one sleep-in day a week (most weekends, that is) and when it happens, it's soooo great!

Heather of the EO said...

You are an excellent writer.

I loved this post.

Wendy said...

I liked this post, too. I tend to get my mini-vacations from reading. Not quite the same and I don't get to experience it with my family like you did. Hope you have a great week!

Gretchen said...

Heather of the EO is right. You are an excellent writer. This was such a charming, sweet post, Jackie. Thanks for MY little mini vaca.

jennifer said...

hey lady - i tagged you. don't feel obligated. i just like you is all! ;-)

Jennifer said...

Awwww! Sleeping in sounds soooo good!

Jodie | Velour said...

I love this story.

Because of how you tell it.

Unknown said...

This is great. I feel like I went on a mini vacation just reading it!

And i agree with you. There is something special about doing something out of the ordinary (and simple!) with the family. Its refreshing.

The Sullivan Sitcom said...

So sweet!

Penny said...

Re: He's really an amazing cook, and he studied various recipies before he created one using, I think, a mix of a few. He's SUPER talented in the kitchen, lol!

H-Mama said...

LOVE mini-vacations. :)

I will have to try the snacks you suggested. Sounds yummy... I need to expand my selections. Love stevia! MSG? I wish I had some tips. I'm still learning this one... like, what all of the 'code names' for this ingredient are... like 'natural flavors'. So frustrating when large industries are all about the money... and not our health. Seriously.

I try to just stay away from anything with a long list of ingredents and anything I cannot pronounce. :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

There is one truck stop in Amarillo, TX that stands out in my mind as the WORST truck stop ever. Nasty bathrooms, grouch customers, and snippy-snappy cashiers.

Other than that, I think they're kinda fun. Especially the ones that sell cheesy souvenirs for 10x what they're worth. ;)