Thursday, August 28, 2008

And I used to think it would be fun to live in the olden days...

In about 24 hours I will enter into the land of dial-up internet connection. The horror...I'm cringing a little as I type that.

Yes, I'm spoiled. This high-speed lovin' girl, who gets a little irritated when the page takes longer than 3 seconds to load, might twitch and moan through the first few days of withdrawal, but it's ok. It will be worth it.

Savannah, my sister Jamie, and I are flying home to Indiana to visit la familia. All 3 of my brothers will be there as well, and so my far-flung family will be together for the first time in almost 2 years.

Savannah, who has no concept of time yet, has been saying for the past 2 weeks, "We go on airplane to Papa's house pretty soon!" And also, "We are going to play with special toys, special outside, and special birthday party!" - each being said with progressive degrees of enthusiasm. As far as I know no birthday parties are in the works, so she'll have to content herself with playing with the "special toys" and the "special outside", which is special indeed because of all the real live green grass. I might just lie down and roll around in it for awhile and forget that I live in the desert.

Until the humidity starts frizzing up my hair and then I'll be glad to go back home.

So, what with the dial-up situation and all, oh, and also the fact that the purpose of going is to actually spend time with my family, I might be out of bloggy commission for a few days. We'll have to see if the dial-up is kind to me and lets me put up a post or two, but if not, it'll just have to wait.

And now I am going to bed so that I can be alert and ready to entertain a certain 2-year-old on a looooong flight tomorrow. One that will involve suckers and a portable DVD player.

28 comments:

Mozi Esme said...

Have a wonderful time! And don't stress too much over posting - we'll all be waiting til you get back. (Though I know I go through withdrawal symptoms myself in those situations . . . :)

Unknown said...

Ohhh! You will be in my neck of the woods! I'm up here in Michigan! I totally understand about the dial-up. That is all I can get here out in corn field county! I use windows live writer to post on my blog. It is much easier and you don't have to be online until you are ready to publish. It works really well when your working with dial-up.
Have a great time with your family!

Mamajil said...

Indiana....You will be near my sister (at least you will be in her same state)....I am a wee bit envious....

I hope you have a wonderful time with your family!!

I will say a prayer for safe travels!!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Enjoy your trip and the family!

SarahHub said...

Have a safe trip and enjoy BEING with your family in person. The bloggy world will wait... I'll miss you!

SmilingSally said...

Even though I have the fast stuff, whenever I go to a blogger who provides music, I must wait for the site to load. It makes me cringe.

BTW: enjoy your family time and the Special birthday party. (I'll bet Grandma has one. Think about Alice Through the Looking Glass--unbirthday)

Genny said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Gretchen said...

Have fun!!!

I'm going to the midwest in October to see my 82 year old Grum.

Can't wait to hear about your trip. Don't worry about us bloggers while you're gone--enjoy!

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Jackie, Have a great trip! Make sure you soak up all the good and overlook any annoyances (like the silly dial up!) Having eveyone together is such a blessing.

You'll be flying right over us! Have a safe flight and an amazing time!

Unknown said...

OOh, have fun and I'll be frizzy right there with ya!!

The Fritz Facts said...

Have a great time! Enjoy the time with the fam, and we will be here ready and waiting for the wonderful stories!

Karen Hossink said...

Have a great trip, and enjoy your family. Don't worry about the rest of us in the blogosphere. We'll still be here when you get back!

Carolina Mama said...

Have fun! And love the "where I belong " post. ;)

Rebecca said...

came across you blog from "blessings all mine." you have a very nice blog here. enjoy your time with family!

Alene said...

I am so glad I stopped by. I love this post. I use -- notice use -- to want to be Laura Ingall Wilder. Oh my - what was I thinking. I couldn't do without my conveniences today! Have a great trip.

na said...

Yup my hair is definitely frizzy most days here in the not-so-great state of Indiana. Have fun while you are here!

Christy

Cheri said...

Oh yes, dial up can make one feel a little bit queasy when your used to high speed internet. I dealt with dial up overseas for two years and never want to go back. When all the money saving experts saving to cancel unnecessary bills I just refuse to include my internet on that list. Can't do it.

Wnjoy your visit and see you when you get back!

Blessings From Above said...

Have a great trip!!! We'll miss ya.

Good luck on the plane ride. I'm praying that Savannah takes a loooonnngggg nap on the plane! :)

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Have a great trip, my friend! I will miss you! :-) But we're looking forward to the tales from the Midwest!

Kendra said...

Hope you have a fabulous trip dear! Hope you enjoy Indiana. That is my home state. :)
Can't wait to hear the details.

Unknown said...

Have a fantastic time!

Dial up and all!

Miss Lisa said...

Hope you have a great time and a very laid back, easy trip on the plane :)

jennifer said...

Oooh, Girl! Traveling with a 2 year old is TOOOOOOOO fun!!!!

Praying for you right now!

Anonymous said...

Okay, you must already be there but what I wanted to tell you was that if the DVD's and suckers fail Benadryl works wonders.

I'm just sayin'.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, have fun. Just keep those lollipops coming!

Amanda said...

what i want to know is where in indiana...cause you know, thats where we are! in fact we are enjoying some laking this weekend...hope you have a fab time!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Jackie girl - missed you bunches while I was away! :) Now you are going to be away for awhile, so I may just have to keep missing you. :) I just got back from dial up country. :) I decided not to bang my head against a wall and just didn't mess with the internet while I was gone.
I loved getting caught up on your blog! :)
Have a fuin time!! I just got back from sweet sweet family time, so I know you will be blessed! Oh, and we aren't too far off from Indianna either... :)

Grace Acres said...

I hope you have an awesome time with your family. and I am sure Savanna will do excellent.