Monday, August 25, 2008

A runner? Nope, not me

My neighbors, who also happen to be good friends and go to church with us, rang my doorbell this evening and dropped off a couple of pictures. Old pictures, from seven years ago. They apparently have been accumulating rolls and rolls of film and just now got them all developed. The occasion was Ricardo's proposal (he did it in front of a lot of people, so hence the pictures taken by friends). The first thing I noticed in the pictures was that I looked stupendously, amazingly happy - as well I should be; I mean, the most awesome man in the world had just proposed to me, so I think that some excessive happiness was in order.

The second thing I noticed was how skinny I was back then.

Sometimes it can be discouraging looking at then and now pictures. I know I posted about my determination to get this under control oh, about 2 months ago. I haven't forgotten, even though I haven't said anything since then. I have lost some weight, not a huge amount like I was hoping would just magically fall off, but enough to give me some incentive to keep going. I guess the biggest plus of all is that I haven't put it back on. That's huge...in the past, I would lose 5, gain 5, lose 3, gain 4. Vicious cycle. This time, it seems to be coming off slowly, but at least it's staying off, hallelujah.

So a few weeks ago Natalie started the Couch to 5K program. When I first read her post, I had zero interest or intention of joining her. Because, quite simply, I don't run. I speed-walk, I do aerobics videos, I do some light weights. But I just don't run. And I didn't think I could ever do it.

But I read her post, and she was encouraging everybody to jump on board. I went to leave her a comment, and suddenly my fingers were typing, "Ok...I'll do it", all of their own volition. What?? I wanted to take it back, but I had hit publish and it was too late. I had committed.

On the day we were supposed to start, I was having some foot and ankle issues. I know it sounds like an excuse, but it was really hurting. So I waited a couple of days until it subsided, and then I started. The program eases into it very gently, and I was able to keep up without collapsing in a heap.

I'm on the 3rd week now, and I'm starting to feel sorta like a real runner. My endurance is increasing and I actually feel exhilarated while running. We'll see how I do by the end of the 9 weeks, but I'm pretty excited about it, and determined to see it through.

A slightly embarrassing thing happened today while I was on the treadmill. And it wasn't even during one of the running portions, it was while I was walking in between. I had reached for my water bottle and was taking a drink when suddenly I lost control and fell down on the moving treadmill. It happened so fast and I got back on my feet quickly, but it was a total America's Funniest Videos moment. Only, I sort of hurt my knee. I have no idea what I did to it, but it's hurtin'. So if you feel so inclined, pray that it returns to normal so that I can continue this program.

Oh! I forgot the best part...all of my old jeans are getting all baggy around the waist, and I just bought a new pair that was a size smaller and that fits (almost) perfectly. Again...hallelujah!

I think accountability is huge when trying to do this, and I'm thankful for girls like Natalie and Sarah, who are walking down their own paths towards health and fitness, and who are encouraging us along the way.

I'll let you all know if I succeeded or failed in six more weeks...

21 comments:

Mamajil said...

How awesome!! I will pray for your knee for sure!! I totally get the whole gym equipment accident thing, years ago I some how managed to flip over the handle bars of a stationary bike at the gym.(YES, I know it takes a special kind of person to do a trick like that!!)
The whole place stopped and stared at me....it was not only painfully humiliating, I too messed up my knee... I survived. BUT I never went back to that gym, (they had other locations so I went out of my way to go to the other locations instead.) :)

btw: Thanks for your thoughts and prayers during Faye....We are surrounded by lakes, rivers and creeks so now the flooding is causing the roads to be closed off.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

You go, girl! Congrats on the new jeans! I'm hoping I'll get there in the next couple of months!

SmilingSally said...

You're doing it right. Keep it up!

SarahHub said...

Oh, the best part is the new jeans! Congrats!

Mozi Esme said...

You inspire me! Hope the knee gets better quick!

Carolina Mama said...

Go, go, go Jackie!! That is so awesome. Slow is good. Slow wins the race remember the tortoise and the hare? :) Prayers for the knee!

Anonymous said...

Good news indeed...thankful for the accountability...it's the way to succeed...praying for your knee...can't wait to see you...you can continue your program here as well and I'll have nothing but healthy food available! :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. Try putting Oreganol on your knee several times a day...it's helpful for pain and bruising!

Unknown said...

My son has a WII game system, so we bought WII Fit for us parents. I love the step aerobics on it. Just started, so I haven't seen any progress, but like you, I hate looking back at pictures and thinking, "that shirt fit and I was so skinny." I haven't gotten rid of any of my clothes that are too small, I'm determined to be thinner. But after having three kids, I'd say it may be more difficult.

Good luck and I'll pray for your knee.

Miss Lisa said...

Falling off the treadmill is one of my biggest fears :0

But really--awesome job on doing this! You are going to rock the skinny jeans this winter!

Elena said...

I will keep you in my prayers. You are doing a great job. Losing weight is difficult. Take care and I hope your knee feels better soon.

Amanda said...

if you made it to america's funniest videos i would TOTALLY vote for you. had a good laugh...and then was thankful to know there are others out there...hopin' on the exercise train. i've done the running/treadmill thing...and petered out. but for the past three weeks i've actually succeeded in working out every morning (well...except two) right after mike leaves for work and before the girls wake up...hooray. definitely good to have accountability and encouragement...but also so hard to be real about struggles with losing extra pounds, etc.!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Oh, Jackie...how exciting! I had almost a year of running several years ago. I really got into it and then my knee and ankle got out of it. :-(

I never lost so much weight so fast in all my life, either! Course, I was in my late 20's instead of 30-something...

You go girl!

jennifer said...

keep up the hard work!

falling off the treadmill is one of those things i always worry about. bless your heart!

Unknown said...

You can do it! You can totally be a runner. I know you can!

So sorry about the treadmill mishap! At least it wasn't in a crowded gym!

IA. said...

Wow! I envy you! I've been trying to get into a regular exercise routine myself, but always end up with excuses. Keep it going, you just inspired me :D

Gretchen said...

We must've been separated at birth because I would totally do that on the treadmill. So sorry about your knee. BUT...thrilled for your successes, Jackie! You are doing it! Keep up the awesome work.

Grace Acres said...

You will do great on your journey to a new you. Listen to your body and and it will tell when something will work or not. sounds wierd but it really is true.

Alana said...

That is awesome. I am actually in the same place. NEVER EVER thought I would ever run, but I have started and sometimes I even like it ;-) Of course, I've been doing it gradually like you and it has been slow, but I'm doing it! Good for you. Did the same thing on the treadmill once and really skinned my shin badly!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

You go! That is wonderful. I'm slowly getting back into running which I haven't done in over four years. I'd forgotten how much I like it.

I'll look forward to seeing how you do. I'll also pray for your knee.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I can't wait to hear how it turns out! I have a friend who was doing the program and I was so intrigued by it. You go girl! :)