Thursday, August 14, 2008

The vacation? It continues...

Apparently my brain still believes it is on a bloggy vacation, because all on its own, it is insisting on reading books and watching the Olympics instead of coming up with something - anything! - to blog about. Well, actually,that's not entirely true... I have at least 4 different post ideas swirling inside my head, but it's really hard to bring my thoughts together cohesively when the fate of the US gymnastics team depends solely upon me being glued to the TV. And since I'm not one to let my country down, I shall remain glued.

So, given all of this, it seems like a perfect time to do a meme.

Tracey at Grace Comes by Hearing tagged me awhile back for this one, and so here goes...6 random things about moi.

1. I wash almost all of my dishes by hand. And not because I don't have a dishwasher, because I do. I just enjoy it; something about it is therapeutic for me. In fact, my dishwasher actually stopped working because of lack of use, and after my dad and Ricardo got it running again, Dad told me that I had to use it once a week so that it didn't happen again. So every Monday I run it, but only because I am more or less forced to.

2. I was 15 when our neighbor hired my brother and me to feed and groom the 8 horses that she owned. This was basically a dream job for me, because I was going through that stage where I thought owning a horse would be the most amazing thing in the world. I loved it; we would go out twice a day and give them hay and oats, and then brush them down until they were sleek and shiny. It was boatloads of fun. That is, until winter hit. We had an excruciatingly cold winter that year, and it got down to about 15 below zero. The water pump out in the horse barn froze, and so my brother and I had to fill up 5 gallon buckets at the house, and then carry them by hand across 3 acres to the barn. Try doing that for 8 extremely thirsty horses every single day; suddenly the job isn't so dreamy anymore. What should have taken 20 minutes took over an hour, and then we would trudge back to our house, frozen to the bone and with no feeling left in our hands and feet.

3. When it comes to Savannah, I have sort of an irrational fear. Two actually; one is that she will choke on something; when she takes too big of a bite and starts to gag, my heart stops. I think it is because I feel so helpless; I can pound on her back, but really, I don't know what I'm doing, and it makes me so nervous. I can't even describe how awful it is. The second one is a little stranger; I am afraid something will fall on her. Like a ceiling fan, or the shelf on the wall, or something else equally silly and unlikely. When she was small, she was on the bed, and I was sitting beside her, singing a song complete with wild gestures. My hand shot up and connected with the shelf behind me, on which sat a heavy porcelain picture frame. I watched in slow motion as the frame hurtled down towards Savannah's head; it missed her by mere inches. I still get chills thinking about it. And yes, I know; this fear is completely unfounded, and I just need to trust that God will protect my baby from any random falling objects. I'm working on it.

4. When Ricardo first called to ask me out (I use that term loosely here - you will see why in a moment), it was to invite me to go white-water rafting. I was excited that he had thought to include me, and had visions of romance dancing in my head until he said, "Well, we had all of the places filled until today, 2 people dropped out and so I'm trying to find some replacements." Well, then. When you put it like that, what girl wouldn't jump at such an opportunity? But I decided to go anyway, mentally writing him off in my head as any sort of a prospect. He ended up hovering close by the entire trip, making sure he was in my raft, sitting by me at lunch, and then talking non-stop for the 2-hour ride home. 8 years later, I'd say that was one great white-water rafting trip.

5. I abhor cockroaches with every fiber of my being. Just typing that word gives me the heebie-jeebies. I have been known to grab a bowl and set it upside-down over a cockroach so that it can't escape while waiting for my hubby to come home and rescue us. I'm sure his love for me knows no bounds at that moment when he walks in the door and sees what is sitting there.

6. We chose to wait to find out whether we were having a boy or girl when I was pregnant with Savannah. It killed me when I was going in for my ultrasound, because a part of me wanted to find out so badly. In the end, she didn't cooperate anyway, so even the ultrasound tech didn't know what we were having, and that gave me a little satisfaction...if we weren't going to know, then nobody was going to know. However, we were 100% convinced that we were having a boy. I don't know what we were basing that on, but we believed it with absolute certainty. Imagine our surprise when at the birth the midwife said to Ricardo, "Take a look, see what you've got!" And he, already choked up with the emotion and beauty of the moment, did a double take and then announced, "It's a... girl!" And I was all, "Serious? Really??" And we could not have been more thrilled. Of course now, I can't picture having anyone else but her. Perfection.

And now...I am tagging Wendi at Everyday Miracles, Kaley at Cheap Therapy, and Sarah at Tales from Oakbriar Farm.

A few weeks back Wendi passed along this lovely little award to me:


Thank you, Wendi! She is such an amazing writer, weaving her words into stories with so much beauty. She is also my soul sista...pretty much every time she writes something, I feel she is peeking into my life and writing about me.

I would like to pass this on to Lizz at Yes, And so is my Heart. She has such a sweet blog, and also 3 of the most adorable children you could ever hope to see.

Chel at Leaving a Legacy awarded these two little beauties to me last week...thank you, Chel! You need to go and visit this girl...she is a fairly new blogger who is witty and insightful, and I'm so glad that I ran across her blog recently.





I am Sharing the Love with Alana from A Kiss, A Hug and a Squeeze...you cannot visit her and leave without a smile on your face.

And for the Friendship Award, I am giving that to my real life best friend, Tara. I don't know what I would do without her!

Whew! I feel like I just gave some sort of speech at the Academy Awards. Except this is much easier because, the public speaking? It terrifies me. There, that's one last random fact about me, thrown in as a bonus.

25 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

OMG...i totally do the bowl over a bug thing too....

have you ever got one that actually was strong enough to move the bowl? scary.

or then there is the instance when said hubby comes to save the day...in my case usually to free a random gecko...and then it is gone...vanished...poof...not there.

that REALLY freaks me out!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Awww - you are so sweet! :) Thank you for your kind words. Soul sista! Awesome.
I love these kinds of posts too! Finding out what some think are silly little things helps me really get to know people and it is so much fun! I'm looking forward to doing it.
I've done a bowl over a mouse before (It was a big bowl). That was a bit freaky...

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Where I grew up (on the coast in South Texas) it was very common to see water roaches during the hot summers.

I had long, frizzy hair when I was in middle school, and I spent the night at my best friend's house. I don't know if you know this, but the giant water roaches I'm talking about can FLY.

We were taking turns spraying this HUGE one, and when I sprayed it, it flew off the wall toward my face! I ducked, but my disobedient hair did not; it flew up and the roach flew in!!

I must have looked like I was doing some wild tribal dance trying to shake that thing outta my hair! Blech....I know. I'm grossing myself out.

And I suppose I'll leave on that happy note! I couldn't resist sharing a roach story.

Well you brought it up!!! :-)

Thanks for the laugh this morning. I really enjoyed your post today! Especially the part about getting to know you better!

SarahHub said...

I love getting to know you better! And don't worry about the lack of posts - the gymnastics team NEEDS you right now!

Thanks for the tag!

Gretchen said...

I loved learning a bit more about you. :) Don't worry about the lack of blogging. I think a lot of us are feeling that way. And, we're all trying to do our part, staying up waaay too late to watch the Phelps-a-thon and the gymnastics. ;)

Cheri said...

I understand the whole roach thing.

And our little visit from the Orkin man? The spray only worked for a week. My visiting sister was not impressed!

SmilingSally said...

I've been know to leave the house when I've seen a c______. (I can't write it!)

I'm glad you decided to do the meme; it's fun, isn't it? I enjoyed doing it.

My post is on the Olympics today.

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

The Olympics are far more rare than blog worthy events, so we'll wait!

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that thinks this, maybe it makes me a little off too, but I think a few irrational fears are pretty normal for moms.

Karen Hossink said...

Regarding Random item #1:
My hubby and I used to nearly fight over who got to wash dishes in the winter, because when your hands are warm - everything's warm!
Regarding #3: Have you ever read Flat Stanley? You must! Either it will put your fears to rest because you'll find out the solution, or it will freak you out more and prevent you from hanging things on the wall. Either way, it's a really cute story.
And as for #5, next time you do #6, make sure you have a boy. You will quickly get over bug fears and may even find yourself welcoming said creatures into your home (caged, of course!) for your son's enjoyment.
I mean, that's what I've heard. My son doesn't have a Preying Mantis in his room right now. And I don't help him catch bugs to feed it. And I certainly would never watch the Mantis eat its prey. That would just be too gross.
But having a son might help you get over bug creepies. *grin*

Jules from "The Roost" said...

It is really neat learning all those random things about you. I am enjoying the Olympics too! :) It is good to "be back"!

Amanda said...

definitely so thankful i have never encountered a cockroach to need to have my hubby rescue me from...because i would fall over passed out before the bowl was over it! and you would have fallen over at our house a year or so ago. mike, elizabeth, and i were playing in the living room...sitting in the middle of the floor...underneath the ceiling light. for some reason we decided to head upstairs and start bedtime early...about 5 minutes later (meaning we typically still would've been sitting down there playing) we heard a loud crash and shatter...the light fixture had fallen from the ceiling and shattered right there...where we had been sitting just moments before! and my husband once said to me (in a conversation we can't fully remember the subject of...clearly way before we would've even remotedly considered one another as future spouses...God had to intervene on that behalf), "it doesn't matter what you think, we will never get married!" (note...this wasn't said in a mean way...just a matter of fact, we can agree to disagree, becuase clearly we would NEVER be compatible!)

also loved your monday post...so glad someone else doesn't have their ducks in a row! i too love books and wish i could spend more time reading...but i get so transported to the worlds of fiction that i lose myself!

The Fritz Facts said...

I don't mind the bugs, plus Boo takes care of them for me most of the time. she isn't scard of them at all.

I have the fear of things falling on the kids too. Hunter had a shelf fall when he was little (before I came around) and he has a scar on the back of his neck. It terrifies me.

Unknown said...

Wow! Awards and all. Congrats!

BTW, don't understand about the dishwasher thing. I absolutely hate washing dishes and if I have to wash some by hand, I just leave them in the sink until the dishwasher's done and then load them.

Unknown said...

These are fun! I love getting the chance to learn about my blogger friends through there meme's.

oh and tip from one roach hater to the next...if you are really desperate, hair spray works great for stopping a roach dead in their tracks.

Mamajil said...

I love your random things....
My dishwasher gets abused!! we run it 3x per day....10 place settings per meal fills it up fast!

I so use to do the bowl over the roach thing too...now my kids are big enough to take care of my "roach emergencies" should they emerge. Here we have flying roaches omg...they scare me to death!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag! I will hopefully get to it this weekend...have a great day!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

The choking thing totally freaks me out, too. It's a horribly helpless feeling. #5 is completely effective (I regularly use that form of bug entrapment). And, wow, you really like to wash dishes by hand?!?

Genny said...

I had to laugh at the cockroach thing...I just took my daughter to a zoo that had a cockroach exhibit. They were huge. Grossly huge. Ugh.

jennifer said...

LOL! The fate of the US Teams IS in our hands! My husband totally says that about watching Memphis Tiger Basketball. So funny.

Alana said...

Thank you so much for the sweet award. And the kind words. I am honored!

So, if you have a thing with cockroaches...have you ever experienced a Palmetto Bug? I've literally sobbed after an experience with one ;-)

Mozi Esme said...

Just an FYI - you have an award on my blog today.

Amie said...

Wandered over from the Parsonage. I LOVE your heading picture!! ADORABLE!

Love the cockroach bit - completely relate!!

And I completely knew I was having a boy as my first, too. Sure enough "It's a girl!" "REALLY? Are you sure?" lol

Cute blog - I enjoy your writing style!!

Killlashandra said...

Congrats on catching up with all those awards. :) I jumped over from Smiling Sally's page when I saw that you were in NM.

Cockroaches are nasty. When I first moved here and lived in an apt I slept on an air mattress before my furniture all arrived. I woke one night with one of those vile things in my hair. It was awful!

And yep, horses and the winter time or the mud takes away all dreamy quality that's for sure. ;)

Grace Acres said...

I have been kindof enjoying the dishes lately too, even tho I don't have a dishwasher. It's a excuse to just stand there.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Congratulations on your awards.

And, thanks so very much for sending one my way. I truly am honored.

Oh, and I always love reading more about my favorite bloggers.