Friday, August 22, 2008

Look, a virtual meet and greet!

Have ya'll seen this?

Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee is hosting the "I See What You're Saying" carnival on Sept. 30. She wants us to video ourselves doing our posts, as opposed to us writing our posts like normal. So that we can "meet" each other and hear what we all sound like. She even has a cool button that you can grab just for this occasion.

I love this idea because one of my favorite things is hearing my bloggy friends' voices. It makes it all so much more real, when you realize there is an actual person with a real voice behind the words they write every day.

More than anything I love hearing the different accents. Love it. I have several real-life friends in Minnesota, and when I hear them talk, it totally makes me smile. It's so cool, hearing them say fleg and beg instead of flag and bag. And when I hear some of your sweet Southern drawls, it really does make me wish that I had been born in Georgia or North Carolina or Texas, because my flat Midwestern non-accent? It just cannot compete. Not to say that those of you from the Midwest have boring voices. Not at all. It's just that I do love some Southern-talk.

I did live in Dallas for 3 years, so I feel that qualifies me to say "ya'll" on occasion. I picked that up when I was working at a downtown Dallas restaurant as a hostess because it just worked beautifully when addressing a party of more than one person. Ya'll. Saying "You" or, even worse, "You all" just sounded strained and contrived to me. But saying "Ya'll"? It just slipped out so smoothly. But that is the extent of my faux-Southern. It just doesn't ring true with the rest of the staccato words that pop out of my mouth.

I haven't decided if I'm going to participate yet (due to, umm...we'll call it voice issues that I have. Does anyone else think they sound dorky on video?).

Plus I am not sure what I would talk about.

Plus I'm shy. (Oh, the excuses, they just keep coming).

So I'm debating. But I think it would be lovely if YOU would participate. So I can see what you look like in action and hear your voice. That's not hypocritical, is it? Yeah, maybe just a little. I'll work on slowing down my speech enough so that you can understand me, and then maybe I'll jump in, too. Maybe.

20 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I already left her a comment saying that I tech challenged, but I'll observe everyone else.

Genny said...

What a super-cute idea! Sounds fun.

Unknown said...

Ummm! I lack the proper equipment and only have dial-up.:( So, I won't be participating.

Unknown said...

You should totally do it. I am! I grabbed the button and put it on my sidebar.

Gretchen said...

So fun! I don't think I have the video capability, but I'll check. If I can, I will. C'mon, Jackie! Join your midwestern non accent with mine! Woot! Woot!

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

No...not hypocritical, cause I was thinking the same thing!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Oh I'm in...if I can figure out how to do a video...and I am from IA, so it doesn't get any more non-accent than that ;)

You totally need to do it :)

jennifer said...

I can't stand the way I sound on video. Like a nasally little kid. It makes me quite sad.

Are you supposed to do something cool, hip and funny while you shoot your bloggy video?

If so, that's a little too much pressure for my liking.

Plus, I'd have to actually dress myself and look all presentable-like.

I'm whimping out too!

Miss Lisa said...

when did you live in Dallas?
I have lived in DFW for 15 years :)

The Sullivan Sitcom said...

I have a very high little-kid voice. In fact, sometimes when I answer the phone the person will ask if my mommy is home. Probably not my thing, but it sure sounds like a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

I'm going to hop over and check this out, it sounds so cool, but like you, I cringe at the sound of my own recorded voice. And mine is very flat, sometimes annoying I think.

Thanks for the link!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

OH Jackie, I will be SO disappointed if you don't do it!

I am going to try to figure it out...sheesh, I feel like I've broken the blogging-sound barrier already with all the stuff I've learned so far! :-)

And for the record, I'm born and raised Texan, I live in Georgia, but I sound like a dork too.

Alana said...

Very fun idea...hope you do it!!

Anonymous said...

That is a neat idea. I will check it out!

Unknown said...

OH This sounds like such fun!

And when we moved to TX I said i would NEVER say "y'all". But after 8.5 years in TX I totally picked it up!

Now it's my favorite word!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, that sounds like fun. I totally think you should participate. Me? Well, we'll see.

Karen Hossink said...

I fully agree with you about loving to hear other people's voices. Love it.
And this blog idea sounds like fun. I actually just bought a web cam for use with my blog, but am saving the "debut" use of it for when my book is published. Shhh! Don't tell. I want it to be a surprise. *grin*

Jamie said...

What a great idea! It should be fun. I think you should definitely participate.

Mamajil said...

OH this ought to be fun...I wonder if I can figure out how to do it :) (bet my teens will have to help me)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Thank you, Jackie, so much, for the shout out! I think this is going to be fun. Tomorrow I'm posting a how-to on uploading videos. Thank you again, I was floored to read this post!