Monday, August 11, 2008

I feel like I've been gone a month...

Things I learned during my Break from the Blog, also known as Trying to Get my Ducks in a Row.

  • My ducks are still not in a row, and probably never will be. And that's ok.
  • Books are good. I should really make time to read more of them. I read one by Jodie Picoult, one by Francine Rivers, and one by Bodie Thoene. The time I usually spend blogging I instead spent getting lost in pages that came alive and transported me to New Jersey and San Francisco and Bethlehem, and I loved every second of it.
  • Going to bed anytime before 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning does wonders for me. Wonders. Like, I am not tired in the middle of the day and I do not toy with the idea of taking a nap when Savannah goes down for hers. Who knew?
  • I could take a year-long blog break and still not want to clean my house. That's one priority that did not rise high in the ranks.
  • Being on a bloggy break lends itself to the feeling of being on vacation, if only mentally. I did not compose a post in my head one time this week. That was a weird feeling.
  • My time spent with God was more consistent this week. That's a good thing. And one I need to continue.
  • TV can wait. Family takes precedence. Even if said TV is showing the gymnastics that I have been waiting - all day - to watch. Because it might so happen that hubby announces at a most inopportune time that he wants to take a little drive, and do I want to come? And I might hesitate, and even tell him to just go ahead without me, imagining a quiet house with just me and the balance beam and floor exercises and little girls with lots of glittery clips in their hair doing amazing flips and twists in the air. But then I might come to my senses and realize that my family is here and now, in real life, and the little girls on TV are just pre-recorded entertainment, and that it won't change the outcome one bit if I'm there holding my breath nervously or not. So I choose to go, and make some memories with my family, watching a storm roll in as lightning flashes and outlines the mountains in the distance.

On a side note - my sweet hubby turned 41 on the 2nd. Happy Birthday, honey...you are the youngest 41-year-old that I know!

I also had my first piece of sushi this weekend, and I'm feeling pretty special about it. I know, some of you are probably gasping at my obvious lack of refinement. What can I say - I am more of a down-home cookin' kind of a girl. I have had a huge aversion to the whole idea of sushi, because, um, raw fish. But we had a Girls Night Out at a Japanese restaurant, and they ordered some to share. I gingerly took a bite, and it was fantastic. (Now that I typed all of that, I'm hoping that what I had was real sushi. Hmmm...maybe it wasn't, and that's why I liked it so much. Tara...that appetizer, was it the real deal?)

So, I'm hoping you all are still out there. I can't wait to drop by and see what I've missed out on this past week. And to those of you who told me that you have considered taking a blogging break of your own, I highly recommend it. Just be sure that you come back.

Happy Monday!

29 comments:

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Yay! It's you! You're back! I'm so glad you were refreshed. I haven't read a book in a long time. I'd say I haven't had the time, but since I've been blogging I have made time for that... :)
I've never tried sushi myself... perhaps I'll take the plunge someday. :) Yes, it's called fear.
I have to tell you Jackie, your comments always really make my day! Have you ever written a post and then kind of cringed, wondering what other people might think when they read it? Well, that happens to me on a regular basis. :) When I get feedback in the form of comments it is a real confidence builder. Your comments in particular seem to say just what I need to hear and come at just the right time. :) I like you. Even you with out the comments would be in the 'like' catagory. :)
Happy gymnastics watching!

Unknown said...

I hope you enjoyed your break! I will be taking one in September. I think all of us bloggers do a lot of composing in our heads. Its sort of a bloggy disease! Also wanted to throw this out at ya. I wanted to concentrate on my devotions more, so I started another blog that I use for my study of the bible. I write what I have learned or feel about what I have read.
Two more things we are so alike!! I have never had sushi- not sure I could do it! And I love to watch the gymnasts! I was one for 5 years and just love watching what they can do!

SmilingSally said...

I have tried sushi, but under extreme peer pressure; I will not do that again!

I agree with Jenn: I too, have the bloggy disease of composing in my head. It follow with a rush to the computer to produce a draft, so that I won't forget. Arrgh

Anonymous said...

Happy to have you back! I'm glad that you were able to renew and re-prioritize some things. And I agree with you, a 'mental vacation' can be so refreshing!

Genny said...

Jackie,
I'm so glad you took such a great break! I love how you chose to go on that drive with your husband, and I'm envious that you read three books. Our schedule has been so busy lately that I haven't done much reading and I miss it! Hope you enjoy much more sushi, many more books, and see a lot of beautiful storms!

Gretchen said...

Missed you, Girl. But toootally understand the need to be in "real time". I feel you on the whole taking a drive/making memories vs. getting some alone TV time. I think both are okay, actually, as long as there is balance. But you're right of course; family trumps gymnastics. Even if it's the Olympics.

Some days I toy with giving up on the whole blogging thing because it IS so addictive and time consuming if I allow it to be. Just one more thing requiring discipline, which I'm often on the short end of providing! ;)

Enjoy your week and catching up.

Mozi Esme said...

Loved your choice on TV can wait! I deal with that conflict all the time, and sadly I don't always make the right choice. But I'm working on it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked the sushi!
The cucumber roll had raw salmon. The Monkey Ball was deep fried, so it didn't contain raw fish but it is my favorite!

Blessings From Above said...

Welcome back...we missed you! :)

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Glad to see you're back, sweet friend.

And let me just say that I share your "unrefinement." I've had sushie ONE time, and I can't say it was fantastic. Sorry. Because, um, raw fish. Yeah. I couldn't agree more. :-)

Missed you!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Oops, I misspelled sushi. See how unrefined I am? hee hee

Colored With Memories said...

glad you're back...see, all of us were right here waiting!

i used to love sushi...and then i got sick...not so much anymore!

glad your break went well!

kg

SarahHub said...

Glad you're back!

What Jodi Picoult book did you read? She is my favorite.

Next time you have sushi, try a spicy tuna roll. You will not regret it! Evie already likes sushi, but the cooked kind. Did you catch this post? http://oakbriarfarm.blogspot.com/2008/07/newest-member-of-sushi-club.html

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

It's me again! Come see my blog...I have something for you!

Unknown said...

WElcome back! I did miss you, but am so glad to see that you got so much done!

Unknown said...

Glad about your ducks. Weird about our hubbies having birthdays and turning the same age last week and you also ate at a Japanese restaurant. Spooky.

Tracey said...

GLAD TO SEE YOUR BACK! WE MISSED YOU!

Cheri said...

There are some types of sushi I like, but others I find just plain yucky. Part of that has to do with a specific experience in Korea...

Glad you're back. Once The Boy is back to school in September I hope to post on a more regular (and more meaningful) basis!

The Broken Man said...

Holiday from Blogging? Wow, that's commitment! Glad you had a good time.

The Broken man

http://theblogofabrokenman.blogspot.com/

Grace Acres said...

Glad your back, I did check a couple times last week just in case you couldn't help yourself. Sushi? I'm not so sure about that.

Elena said...

Welcome back! Well, you beat me on Sushi. I didn't try it until I started dating my husband when I was 41! I loved my first taste too and I still enjoy it:)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

So glad you are back!

Lisa said...

We did miss you but sounds like you chose wisely. Time is so, so precious, especially while Savannah is so young.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

You were missed! Did you read Redeeming Love?!? It is my all-time favorite Francine Rivers book. LOVE it!

Becky said...

You have quite the following even after a break!
I've missed reading up on everyone, just been busy!
Glad you are back and I can so relate to all you said!

Kendra said...

I love this post. :)
I have never had sushi before...not sure if i'm brave enough to try it!
Have a good week.

Carolina Mama said...

Welcome back! Where did I miss that - I kept checking in on you. :) We're just in from our Anniversary and refreshed as well.

Carolina Mama said...

p.s. have been a huge Sushi fan - not as much post-Twins. What can I say! We love books and storms, etc.

Kara said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! I enjoyed reading yours as well. I am with you on the loving sushi thing and Caramel Machiatto's! I will be back!!