Friday, August 01, 2008

Parties and finding balance

You all have some definite ideas about home parties! I was thoroughly entertained reading what every single one of you had to say, and I vacillated between laughing and agreeing with you.

So what did I do? Well, I went. My mom sort of saved the day when she told me she has been wanting a garlic press, and that she would buy one if I wanted to go. Win-win! So I drove there (by myself! but with an occasional glance in the rear view mirror to check on a non-existent Savannah before I remembered that I was...by myself - weird feeling. Um, yeah, maybe I need to get out more). My friend's new custom house is lovely, and I took the grand tour and admired everything profusely.

The Pampered Chef presentation was just like all the others I have been too. There are so many gadgets that look so cool and that I'd love to have, but there is always the question of, would I actually use them? More specifically, would I use them enough to justify the money that I would have to spend to get them? So I refrained from purchasing anything for myself, but got the garlic press for my mom, and figured that was good enough. We had a yummy little caprese sandwich appetizer made with fresh mozzarella and tomato and pesto - it tasted like summer, an explosion of freshly-picked garden vegetables. And in keeping with my low-carb weight-loss aspirations, I only had 6 chips with fresh salsa and guacamole. I was very proud of myself.

This morning, the same friend that hosted the party called and said she was giving me a 25% off coupon to the Gap, where she works part-time. Apparently it is friends and family week, in addition to being tax-free weekend. And (the best part) Darcie at Such the Spot just sent me a Gap gift card that I had won a few weeks back (thank you, Darcie!). The timing could not be more perfect. I see some shopping in my very near future...and I am hoping to get a few things for myself instead of being tempted to spend it all on adorable clothes for Savannah.

I think I'm going to be taking a little blogging break next week. My life is in need of some prioritizing. I love too many things...my family, friends, reading, blogging, cooking. And sleeping, which is kind of a necessity. And while I do not love cleaning and laundry and exercise, those things factor into my day as well. Somewhere along the way I have gotten turned around, and I just need to take a week and figure it all out. I plan to go to the library today and stock up on books, which I haven't done in such a long time, and the thought is making me giddy with excitement.

So, I won't be posting next week, but I am quite certain that it would be impossible to tear myself completely away...I still have to keep up with you! I can't imagine coming back after a week and finding 700 (literally)new posts in my reader. So I'll pop in to visit as much as I can. And hopefully you all will hang in there with me....don't leave! I'll be back.

Have a great week, ya'll.

32 comments:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

I'll be here when you get back! Enjoy the break!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I hope your break is a good one, but you'll be missed.

I gotta tell you that everything I have from Pampered Chef (and I have a LOT) I use. I love their stuff.

And GAP...oh my, you're going to have some fun there!

SarahHub said...

Have a nice week off!

Unknown said...

I completely understand. It's good to regroup sometimes.

I miss the days of having one child and going to the library so often. I don't remember the last time I read a book. Enjoy it for me!

Have a nice week off and we'll miss you!

Karen Hossink said...

I'm glad the party situation worked out.
I have one of the garlic presses, and LOVE IT!!! I remember spending about 20 minutes pealing and mincing garlic one night (My hubby loves it!) and I told him, if I was ever going to make that particular dish again, I really needed that garlic press. That was probably 10 years ago. It was a good purchase for us.

Enjoy you're break!

Anonymous said...

Yay! about the Gap discount. Perfect timing.

I love Pampered Chef too. You showed more restraint that I probably would have...

And the blog break is needed from time to time. I find that by not blogging on weekends it really helps me out. And then, I've begun to just stop stressing if I don't get a new post up on any given day. It's not like the world is going to spin off its axis! Enjoy your break and we'll be here when you get back!

Unknown said...

Enjoy your time re-prioritizing (not an actual word). We'll see you when you get back.

Wendy said...

Ooohhh, a big stack of library books! See you when you resurface (and enjoy your break).

Alana said...

Now that I'm back, you're leaving? We've got to get our schedules together! Hope you enjoy your bloggy break...they are often needed!

Unknown said...

I too, feel I need to prioritize with my blogging and such. Glad to see you doing it. I was wondering how I was going to take a break and not lose my readers and friends. I think you went about it the right way and I will be using this strategy too, in the future. Have a great week off and I'll chat with you soon!

Tracey said...

HAVE A NICE BREAK!!

Jodie | Velour said...

I hope your break is amazing. And that you don't get the DT's too bad. :)
Have fun at the Gap! I would be giddy about that, AND a week to read a stack of library books.
I suppose I could easily do the same thing, but I'm my flesh is weak when it comes to taking a blogging break. :)
Have fun - and don't worry - I'd never leave you! You're too great for that! :)

Genny said...

Have a great break!

Colored With Memories said...

six chips?!? i'm impressed.

we are doing lower carb around here too, and today i caved and ate a handful of rainbow marshmallows with my daughter. i don't even know why...i don't even like them!

SIX chips! you're awesome.

i've considered taking a blogging break too. it is a time sucker yet i totally love it too...i'm not sure what to do...

see ya back soon!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Blogging can definitely be addictive. Like I will say "one hour on the computer while the boys nap, then I will get up and do dishes, laundry, mop my floors, (you could insert about a million other things here). Two hours later the boys are crying for mommy and my house is no cleaner... :) Ever happen to you? :) I can not believe how much time fades into nothingness after posting and reading other blogs - crazy!
Good for you friend! I may be dong less in the future - like just a couple times a week or something. The past few weeks I have had no time to do it any way. Six boys to care for is work ! We are having the time of our lives though!!

Miss Lisa said...

Glad you enjoyed the party!
Enjoy your break--'see' ya soon!

SmilingSally said...

I've never been to a Pampered Chef party although I've been invited to several. My cupboards are full, and I'd feel funny going and not buying. You were lucky to have your mom to help you out of that one!

Grace Acres said...

Have a great 'vacation' and we'll miss you.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Glad the party was fun -- I do love Pampered Chef stuff. The few things I've bought from them, I use all the time.

And, don't worry about taking a little break. I've discovered life is much easier with priorities in order. Take all the time you need. We'll be here when you get back! :)

Jamie said...

Enjoy your break! I look forward to hearing about it when you get back.

The Fritz Facts said...

Enjoy your break! Sometimes you just need to get away!

Gap has the cutest Smurfette shirts for kids. I want one so bad. But am resisting.

Amanda said...

definitely understand the need for a break...and definitely will be back around!

Amanda said...

definitely will be back around to check up on your little life...and definitely feelin' the whole need to find a balance.

Anonymous said...

Hey! You're supposed to be on a bloggy break! So why the comments on my blog?

BUSTED!

Seriously - hope you're enjoying the time away from your OWN blog. That's a load off.

We'll all be here when you get back.

Mamajil said...

Enjoy your week away from the PC :)

A Gap card and Coupon....what a great perk!!

Have a great week!!

Unknown said...

Enjoy your break...and don't worry too much about keeping up with our posts...we'll post more when you get back!

And I do have the PC garlic press, and I love it!

Mamajil said...

Hey...when you get back online...I tagged you for a meme check out my blog and come play! Hope you are enjoying your sabbatical :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie! I hope you are having a nice bloggy break :) Looking forward to having you back!

Becky said...

Hope you are enjoying your break!! :o)

Mozi Esme said...

Way to go on controlling the chips! I love Pampered Chef and use what I've got, but the parties are always a little awkward - trying to figure out what I can buy that will be useful and not make me look too stingy. I've generally just gone the route of buying things for other people, and then I don't feel bad about the prices.

Hope you're finding your balance!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Just popping back in to say hello! :) I'm fully supportive of your priotizing and taking some time of, but I do miss you. :)
Hope you are havinga fabulous weekend.

Colored With Memories said...

hi jackie!

hope your blogging break has been good!

if you are up for a meme when you get back, see my blog...i tagged you!