Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday came way too soon...

Funny how fast Friday rolls around when you are doing a weight-loss challenge and you are dreading stepping on the scale and revealing to all of the Hot For The Holidays sisters how it went during Week One.

So Monday started off with a bang. After our foray into the land of the buffet on Sunday night, I was ready to go Monday morning and work off every single calorie. I planned on starting by walking/running on the treadmill, and then move on to my Tae-bo video. All went according to plan until about 20 minutes into my treadmill session, where I stumbled and sailed off the treadmill, injuring my knee in the process.

I was so bummed...not because of the pain, but because it meant exercise would not be an option for at least a week. And that's no way to start off HFTH.

So to make up for the lack of exercise, I was extra, extra good about eating this week. No sugar, no goodies, limited carbs. Lots of fruit and broccoli and protein. And no sneaking chocolate chips. I have this thing about the bag of chocolate chips; if it is unopened, then no problem...I would never open it just to snack on a few right out of the bag. But if I have an open half-empty bag leftover from the last time I made cookies, then they are fair game. But this week, I passed the already-opened bag every single day and resisted the call of the chocolate every time.

So, results...not as good as I wanted but better than nothing. I am down 1 pound. 14 more to go until Christmas!

I met with a guy today who specializes in fertility and nutrition issues. He asked me some questions about diet, and it just reinforced the fact that I KNOW I need to lose this weight in order to get some of these fertility issues under control. He started me on some natural supplements and is going to give me a few months to see if it starts to turn things around. I am hopeful that it will, but at the same time I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high. Does that make sense? Ultimately, it is in God's hands. Gotta keep reminding myself of that. But I think this will be another great motivator for me, in addition to all of the wonderful accountability I am getting through HFTH.

Off to eat a cookie now...oops, sorry! I mean...a grapefruit. You don't think I want to give up that hard-earned lost pound already, do you?


Photobucket

29 comments:

Membership Required said...

Way to go on making it through the week and still losing. What will power. Good Luck this week. In the words of Hill Street Blues (I am dating myself here) "Be Careful Out there."

Colored With Memories said...

i think 1 lb is great...especially considering that your treadmill hates you.

keep us posted on how those supplements work out for ya!

Unknown said...

I hear ya' sista.

Aspiemom said...

YEAH for 1 POUND! Great work, Jackie. You sound like you are being very disciplined in your eating! You are inspiring me!

Posh Mama said...

Wow, so sorry you fell, but way to go on the sticking to your eating goals! I know how it goes with the chocolate chips, thats how I am with ice cream. Thankfully I don't like the kind we have in the freezer. Aren't I strong! hee hee hee

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm proud of you Jackie...that's GREAT!

I meant to tell you this earlier, but Tae-Bo really worked for me. After my second child was born, I lost all my baby weight by running and doing Tae-Bo. I should dig my vhs tape out and do it with you!

Cheri said...

I am really proud of you/for you for that one pound. I know it's not easy or fun - but you doing great!

Brittany said...

Good for you for sticking with it even after you hurt your knee. I might have sat down and ate the whole bag of chocolate chips. I'm not actually going to meetings. I was on WW after my first and I'm just using the points system.

Unknown said...

I second Mer! Very proud of you! And I will pray for the fertility issues and your heart! But mostly I will pray for continued success on your wise decision to be healthier... and for safety on the treadmill! ;)

Happy weekend!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Wow, I do the chocolate chip thing too. Only I am low enough to actually open the bag just to sneak a few. :) I so love you.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

You are doing it slow and right! I am proud of you, you are giving me the push I need!

The Smiths said...

Great job on the pound especially since the treadmill incident. I personally think they are evil! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

A pound in a week without any exercise is awesome! Great start! And man, you caught me....I pulled the Chocolate Chip Sneak just yesterday. But only 'cuz the bag was already opened!

Rach@In His Hands said...

Go Girl! Way to go on the pound...I may just need to join in on this Hot for the Holidays group!

Gretchen said...

WAY TO GO, Jackie! Not only on the 1 pound, but on all the healthy changes you made in one week! You're already hawt to me. I'll be praying for the fertility issues. You're in my heart.

I weigh in on Monday, so I'll let you know how I did.

Mrs. H said...

Great job Jackie...that's a great start! A -1 is better than +1! Keep it up!

Wendy said...

I'm totally impressed with your willpower.

Rachel said...

Good for you! As I was reading my cousin's book this week I was struck by the fact that you put on this weight over a few years but then we expect it to fall off in a few weeks. Don't become discouraged! Stay the course! I am sure you can do it! Don't let that treadmill keep you down! :)

Lisa said...

Hey, a pound is a pound. You are off to a good start. I will add you to my prayer list with the fertility issues.

My husband does the choc chip thing, too. I'll think I have a bag, go to make cookies and its got three chips left.

Alana said...

Girl, one pound is great. It seems to be all I can lose in a week no matter what I do...so I can relate!

SarahHub said...

Congrats! A pound lost is a pound earned! Does that make sense? Good job on your hard work!

SarahHub said...

Oh, and I have a little surprise for you on my blog.

creative gal said...

Way to go on the one pound, look at it as progress. I will be praying for your knee and your workout. :o) Hang in there!

Carolina Mama said...

One pound is great esp. when you add the other 14 to it and by Christmas you will be HFTH! :) Congrats and best to you with the supplements.

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Yeah for a pound gone! Sounds like you did AWESOME this week - way to go. I'm sorry about the treadmill "incident" - hope you're back up and running soon. And yes, if you want to come all the way to IL Traci and I would LOVE for you to join us at the gym.

jennifer said...

I'm seriously sooo proud of you for doing this! It makes it so much easier to eat well (and leave out all that fun, yummy, stuff) if you know you are doing it for an amazing reason like having a little one.

Praying for you...

I'm all about the grapefruit by the way!!! It's my addiction now.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Okay, first of all: YOU, I have missed. :-) I don't like being away from blogging, even when I'm having fun while I'm away.

Secondly, way to go on the commitment! It's even harder to stay committed when things don't go the way we think they should. Keep going!

Thirdly, my Dr. told me that if you lose more than 1 or 2 pounds per week, all the extra that is quickly lost is what quickly comes back. So really, 1 pound in a week is awesome!

ttm said...

You are soooo good! I love that you were able to pass up the chocolate! I am proud of you!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Good for you. I don't even want to admit how many chocolate chips I've eaten this week. It is humiliating. I'll pray that everything turns around for you.