Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I'm no Ma Ingalls

So after all my whining and insecurities about "I See What You're Saying", it ended up being a blast. Of course there is always something to pick apart on your own video, and after visiting so many people, I kept thinking, Man, I wish I had thought of that. But seriously, I have loved meeting so many new ladies, and that's what it's really all about.

If you watched my little video to the very end, you noticed that I am doing a (very small) giveaway. If you want to get in on it, there is still time; I'll leave it open until Sunday night. It's open to anyone - not just those that did the "I See" carnival. And I am still working on replying to everyone that has been sweet enough to leave me a comment.

So this past Monday, I was in the middle of doing several loads of laundry. Not a favorite chore, and so I try to get it out of the way early in the week. I had just a load or two left when I went to throw the wet clothes into the dryer. That's when I noticed, they weren't just wet; they were sopping, wringing, dripping-on-the-floor wet.

The spin cycle had up and left the building.

And so like any capable and independent wife would do, I went running to find my hubby.

While he took a look at it, I, suddenly fancying myself to have been transported back to the olden days, decided to wring out the wet clothes by hand before tossing them into the dryer. I was feeling very Ma Ingalls-ish until I got to my 3rd t-shirt and my hands gave out. It is not easy to wring out sopping wet clothes. I just can't imagine living back in the day and having to do everything by hand...clothes and heavy blankets and overalls. Everything.





Can I just say thank God for my level-headed, technically-minded hubby? If it were up to me, I would have been on the phone with the repairman who would no doubt have charged me hundreds of dollars to come out and fix the darn thing. But Ricardo took it apart, did some research on the internet (or rather, had me do the research because I'm all savvy like that), and determined what the problem was. We found the part on Ebay, ordered it, and it was here the next day. Hubs put it all back together, and it's currently humming away as I type this, as good as new.

And it cost fifty dollars. That's it.

Of course, when I first noticed it was broken, my heart leaped (leapt?) as I thought that these might soon be the newest residents in our house:




Aren't they just beautiful? And yes. I love red. As you well know if you watched my video and saw my dining room.

But Frugal Self always beats up on Dreamy Self, putting it right back in its place in no uncertain terms. And when it comes to spending fifty bucks as opposed to a couple of thousand, I guess that's the way it should be.



Photobucket

25 comments:

SarahHub said...

I am impressed with your husband, and with you for wringing the clothes out by hand. I would have left them there, I just know it!

Sara@iSass said...

Don't you just LOVE a handyman Hubby?? Mine works on cars. His dad can fix or build ANYTHING. Or at least give it a good try. I'm right there with ya on that washer/dryer. Talk about a thing of beauty! Ok you answered my question for tomorrows post. But stop by anyway if you want to. You can get a preview of what Nick looks like in a tux...wink wink

Mrs. H said...

I'm so happy you were able to fix it! My hubby...he tries really he does, but things always turn into a bigger chore than they started out around here! Let me just say we always get a good laugh!

And FYI...I've always wanted to live in the Laura Ingalls days. Crazy uh? No TV, cell phone sounds like heaven until I think about ringing clothes out by hand!

Jamie said...

This same thing happened to me (except for the fixing it part). I am now on week 2 of no washing machine. I'm glad you were able to fix yours, I hope we will be able to fix ours too.

Beachy Mimi said...

I think that washer/dryer combo is on EVERYONE'S dream list! It is great that you have a handyman...well, handy. It sure helps the pocketbook.

Lisa said...

My husband and I talk trash about the "bookkeeper" all the time. She never lets us get to do anything! :)

Wendy said...

I am glad Frugal Self talked Dreamy Self out of a major purchase...although I know she can be a real downer sometimes....lol

I have a quilt that I have to wash my hand. (Yeah, it doesn't get washed very often.) Wringing it out is the hardest part. I'm impressed that you tried.

Jennifer said...

Ooooooooooo... red washer and dryer! i want a new dryer SO BAD! The one we have... my father in law found at a yardsale or something when my husband first moved to college.

My laundry "room"... if you can call it that, isn't large enough for most of the newer washer and dryer sets.

Guess I need a new house before I get a new dryer!
Here's to wishful thinking!!!

sara said...

I had to do that once for a month.....my husband is not quite as handy as yours.....it is NO FUN!!! But that red set is gor-ge-ous!!!

Jodie | Velour said...

Oh, my heart leaped (leapt?) too when our machine broke last week. I just saw dollar signs. Big appliance equals big expense. I do like the prospect of a new washer, but only if it's like, a donation. :) Ours cost about a hundred to fix which is soooo much more affordable than a new machine.
By the way, I don't know who lied to you and said you're not funny. You make me laugh all the time - and you're also very handy with words...
Happy Thursday!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

LOVE those things and they are on my list of indulgences too! :)

ttm said...

Hooray Ricardo! I am with you on the red washer and dryer..one day...

Elena said...

Yes, Handy Hubby's are wonderful! I was blessed with a very technical guy too! That is one big Yahoo I gave when I met Rich. No more expensive repairs:) That washer and dryer set looked wonderful but, I am with you as far as expenses:)

Tracy's Porch said...

Way to go, you two! I'm impressed.

I would love that red washer and dryer set...or just any new set :-) you at least have a front loader version. Mine is ancient!

Rachel said...

Gotta LOVE handy husbands! However, it seems to me the money we save by him being handy seems to somehow be transformed into new tools!?! Oh well, At least he fixes things! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, $50 is much better than $1000. But that combo is a-dor-able!

Growin' With It said...

aww man, being without a washer is torture! how in the world did they do it with those washboards years ago? i'm with ya on the lust for those fancy ones. and glad to hear your back up and runnin'!

Alana said...

Oooh, those sure are fancy. But you are right to do the frugal thing. Especially in times like these...yikes!

Colored With Memories said...

wow, you are internet savvy...i'll email you the next time one of our appliances breaks down!

Cindy Swanson said...

Jackie, that red washer and dryer set IS so gorgeous...I always admire it when I see it on commercials.

You're so right about "I See What You're Saying"...SUCH a great experience, especially as it introduced me to bloggers I haven't really checked out before, like yourself! Have a great weekend!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

A woman can dream though...and what a beautiful dream! :)
My Dave is such a handy man too! He can fix just about any thing. I am so thankful for all of the $ he saves us!
Lucky girls we are!!

Amanda said...

gotta love those handy fix-it hubbies! but i too would've been dreaming of those new models until my frugality and husband won out!

Unknown said...

My husband is quite mechanically inclined, too. We are still using a dryer that was given to us when we moved into our first house. It is about 35 years old (the dryer that is). Joel has fixed it and the washer many times. I'm with you on the red washer and dryer. I decorate with a lot of red.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Frugal Self always beats Dreamy Self up around here too! Love the red ones, but I'd say only spending 50 dollars is much nicer.

Carolina Mama said...

You sure have great taste! And a techy husband is a great thing!