Thursday, October 30, 2008

Souptacular - Chicken Enchilada Soup

Souptacular08


The last time we went out to eat at Chilis, I ordered a cup of their Chicken Enchilada Soup. It was delivered to our table before the rest of the food came, and I basically inhaled it...it was just that good, chock full of chicken and spice and cheesy goodness. When our dinner arrived a few minutes later, another cup of soup was set in front of me, and I looked at it with much consternation. I wanted that second serving, oh my yes, but honesty compelled me to tell the waitress that someone else had already brought me a cup. She shrugged, she didn't care, and told me to enjoy it. So I did.

And then I went home and kept thinking about it. So I googled it, found a copycat recipe, and whipped up a batch. Since I took some liberties with the recipe, it didn't turn out exactly like the Chili's version, but it was still pretty darn tasty.



Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb. of chicken breast fillets (approx. 3 fillets)
1/2 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic, pressed
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup masa harina (flour found in baking section of stores)
3 cups water
1 cup enchilada sauce
16 ounces Velveeta
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Garnish

shredded cheddar cheese
crumbled corn tortilla chips
pico de gallo

1. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side. Set chicken aside.

2. Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent. Add chicken broth.

3. Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended. Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.

4. Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.

5. Shred the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.

6. Serve soup in cups or bowls, and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips, and pico de gallo.



So the liberties I took with this...I didn't have Velveeta, so I used regular shredded cheddar. I also substituted regular flour for the Masa Harina, since I didn't have it on hand, imagine that. I think it might be better using the Masa Harina, since regular flour might give it a little too much of a pasty taste. But flour will work in a pinch.

I also used green enchilada sauce even though I think that Chilis uses red enchilada sauce...still really delicious. And even though it is not a traditional enchilada ingredient, I threw in a can of black beans just to make it a little heartier and convince my husband that soup can, indeed, be what's for dinner.

Enjoy! And head over to Boomama's for some more spectacular soups.

18 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

i love soups--this one is popular down here ;)

John and Lisa said...

Enchiladas are my favorite food ever, I can't believe I've never had enchilada soup. I will have to try this soon!

Thanks,
Lisa

Gretchen said...

Oh my...excuse me for drooling.

Must try this one for sure!!!! I got so mad at Chilis after they discontinued my veryfavoriteever smoked veggie cheese quesadillas. We only have like 1 Chilis within driving distance, so I was soooo excited, only to find the huge discrepancy on the menu. :) But, it's nice to know, if I get to go again, I can have this soup.

SmilingSally said...

Yum! Thank you!

Lynn said...

This looks so good. I am going to have to try it. Thanks.

Rach@In His Hands said...

That sounds So yummy! I'm definitely going to try out the recipe ~ thanks!
My Josh doesn't think that soup counts as dinner, either! Maybe this will change his mind, too!

Sara@iSass said...

I spent the morning drooling over the crockpotalooza. Oh my I am going to have to try this at Chili's. And the next time I go to the grocery store I'll pick up the ingredients for this. UMMMMM, just another reason I love fall. Soup, chili, roasts all made in the crockpot so I don't have to miss Oprah to cook dinner!

Grace Acres said...

I love soup too, and this sounds wonderful. I am a big fan of the green sauce and made an enchilada lasgne for our dinner tonight with black beans and the green sauce. We will have to try the soup now. thanks

Anonymous said...

I bet this is delicious and I can't wait to make it! Thanks for posting it for everyone. I wonder if you can freeze this? I love to double a recipe and then freeze half, and some soups are great for that.

If I make all of the great recipes I've found today, our little family will be having soup until Easter! :) Suits me!

I'm enjoying your blog!

Rachel said...

I tried to do something similar a few weeks ago just off the top of my head, but I used alot of Salsa in it and I am trying to get away from using processed foods. So I am excited to see this. I will have to give it a try.

I am also glad that you used real cheese. I NEVER have Velveeta. If I do get it I use it once and then hate it so much I throw it out a month later.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

This soup sounds just up my alley. I'm from South Texas, so I can really LOVE me some Mexican food...especially Tex-Mex.

Oh I miss it SOO much.

This sounds so wonderful...and this is the perfect season for delicious, hearty soup! YUM!

jennifer said...

oooh... yummy!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Thanks, girl ;) Have a fun safe night!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

This sounds great -- I've just bookmarked it! Thanks for sharing!

Penny said...

My stomach is growling, lol! I LOVE that soup! Thanks for sharing!

(BTW, found you through Rachel's blog.)

HDMac said...

Sounds yummy! Thank you !!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You have the best recipes to share. I will definitely be trying this soon!

Jenn said...

I love getting new recipes. I just saw Meredith's comment - I am going to have to back and look around for your other recipes. This soup sounds so comforting!