Saturday, July 05, 2008

Freedom

We usually celebrate the 4th of July every year by going to a friend's house and having a cookout and lighting an entire super-sized box of fireworks. The kind of fireworks that are absolutely ear-splitting. It's hilarious; in between setting off each one, the adults sit around and try to cram in about 20 seconds worth of normal conversation before the next one crackles to life. Then for a whole minute we sit and focus on the can that is spewing sparks into the air, because it's useless to try to talk over the racket at that point. The kids usually tire of it after about 15 minutes and run inside to play, but for some reason, the adults keep lighting them until the box is empty and our eardrums are permanently impaired.

We decided to do something different this year, and took Savannah to the Balloon Fiesta Park where the city launches its big fireworks show. We arrived about 7:30, spread a blanket out and set up lawn chairs, and settled in to listen to Blood, Sweat and Tears play a concert. I felt a little out of it when I discovered that I only knew 2 of the songs they played, but I just now googled them and found out they've been around since the '60s, so that made me feel a little better, like I am not totally out of the loop.


The evening was perfect. Balmy and breezy, 70 degrees. Savannah ran in circles, and then we lay on the blanket, looking up at puffy white clouds and a sliver of the moon. Ricardo offered to brave the lines to get a snack. He returned 45 minutes later bearing a paper container of nachos, the kind that are slathered in processed cheese and sliced jalapenos. And may I just add that after a few weeks of not eating much fat, these are currently not sitting well with me. And that's all I have to say about that.



The fireworks show started, and Savannah was delighted. She cuddled next to me for the first few moments, exclaiming, "I scared!" But she became braver and was soon standing, arms outstretched, trying to catch the drops of light as they fell toward the earth.




Synchronized patriotic music played along with the fireworks. When "God Bless America" started, I teared up. When "I'm proud to be an American" played, I cried and sang along as loudly as I could. I didn't expect to get emotional; it just happened.



It was a great day. We live in a great country. I know I am guilty of not recognizing it on a daily basis, but we have amazing freedom here. I love this holiday because it's a reminder to slow down and be thankful for all that God has bestowed upon us.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

God Bless America!!!! WE are so blessed to live in this country!

Miss Lisa said...

What a beautiful post :)
I've gotten teary before at our National Anthem--in this times, it's hard not to.
Savannah is a doll!

Jamie said...

What a great time! It made me a little teary-eyed when I heard those songs yesterday too.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post! Its hard for me not to tear up in a patriotic song too! We live in a great country!!
Your little girl is adorable! My Ruby just turned 2 and she was saying the same thing about the fire works "I scared"...

btw: thanks for stopping by my blog!!
Be blessed!

Mamajil said...

oh oh, the last comment by "madeline" was from me mamajil...I didn't realize my daughter was logged on to my computer....Have a great night!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful pictures!!! God bless our country.

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great time. Love the pics!

I understand your feelings after the nachos. I had similar feelings after all the junk I ate last night.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for coming by :) We get a lot of comments about their names and I love them even more now than when we chose them! I also love your daughter's name. We had that on our list of possibles if God surprised us and gave us a girl!

Elena said...

Great pictures! The one of you and Savanah is beautiful:)

Alana said...

Amazing pictures! You really captured the day!

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one trying to hide my tears when the fireworks are going. My 10 year old would think I was oh so uncool!

Unknown said...

Great post! The picture of you and your daughter is precious!

Also, the National Anthem makes me cry EVERY SINGLE TIME! It borders on embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

What a great day you had. Now, some things to make you feel better.

1. I have no idea who Blood Sweat and Tears is. Or are.

2. I can never speak during the National Anthem for fear of the quivering voice and spilled tears. I'm a total wuss.

3. There are worse things than processed cheese and jalapenos. Take for instance the fudge brownie sundae I had after polishing off a bacon (veggie)burger smoothered in Provolone. Yes, I'm counting calories too. Not last night though.

Karen Hossink said...

I am sure if I heard those songs in conjunction with the fireworks, I would have been in tears, too.

Your daughter's comment about being scared reminded me of the first time I had my kids at a fireworks display. It was after a baseball game, I only had two children at that time (2 yrs. and 7 or 8 months) and my husband wasn't with me. They both started screaming when the noises came and I carried/dragged them to the car as quickly as I could. It was not pleasant. *weary grin*

Genny said...

Great pictures and great memories. We DO live in a great country! Thanks!

Becky said...

What fun!
Great pictures!
I love America! We had the best celebratory service in church yesterday!

Grace Acres said...

this sounds like so much fun, I love how well your fireworks pics turned out.

Kendra said...

That is a great post. God has truely blessed us...I only hope he continues too.
Love the photos.

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

I'm not sure how you could keep a dry eye with those songs playing during the fireworks. Looks like a fun day!!

Gretchen said...

You're right, we do have a great country. No matter which side of the aisle you vote upon, you still get a vote, and it still counts as much as your neighbor's does.

Great pictures. Enjoy your week.