Thursday, July 10, 2008

Quite possibly more than you wanted to know

While I don't intend to give you a daily play-by-play on each victory and defeat of potty-training in our household, I thought an update might be in order.

We started off the morning full of optimism and excitement. Which lasted all of 2 minutes. I set her on the potty, and she promptly burst into tears and refused to stay. However, she still felt entitled to her M&M, but I was quick to inform her that's not how this business works.

I figured we both needed a break after those 2 grueling minutes, and we both happily escaped the bathroom. I felt a slight twinge of guilt that I hadn't stuck it out, but I reasoned that maybe she wasn't ready. Maybe I wasn't ready.

But after lunch, I decided to give it another try. I set up the computer in the bathroom so that she could watch videos, which made her oh so happy and willing to give it another shot.

The air conditioning vent was directly above the throne she was so royally seated upon, and she got chilly every time it kicked on. She's nothing if not resourceful, so she grabbed the shower curtain and wrapped it around herself, saying, "This is nice and warm." Don't worry, the curtain is washable. I thought I better throw that in there for those of you who are cringing at the thought of the germs now attached to the curtain.



2 hours (yes, 2 - she's a stubborn one), 4 movies, 2 bowls of grapes, a cup of milk, a pack of flashcards, and a sore backside (for both of us - I sat on the hard floor) later, we had results. I tell you, it was music to my ears. And may I add that I never thought that would be music to my ears. But it was.

She giggled hysterically, looking slightly amazed, and said, "Mama! Pee-pee!" I laughed and also cried a bit as I did a little dance and told her how proud I was. And then because I was deliriously happy, or maybe just plain delirious from sitting on the hard floor for 2 hours, I awarded her with two M&M's. Which completely went against everything I said in my last post.

At this rate, when she poops (hopefully tomorrow!), she'll be getting half a bag as a reward. This potty-training stuff is hard work.

22 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

Best wishes to you in this new journey...our adventure has been going on for 18+ months. And I can still count on ONE hand how many times little miss has pooped on the potty. I. am. not. kidding.

So, if your little miss does it tomorrow...I may have to stop reading your blog for a while.

Kidding. Just kidding.

No, I don't suffer from potty envy. No, not at all.

Seriously, congrats on the progress!

Amanda said...

so funny! way to go for your persistence...i love that you kept her sitting there until you had success! :) and isn't it funny what we will "give" (like two m&m's) in our unbelievably excited by success state of mind!

Mamajil said...

WOW 2 hours!
I guess I am one of "those" moms who hates potty training soooo much that I actually tell folks "they can go from pampers to depends its fine with me" lol

Riley however did potty trained herself at 2...she started the week I came home with Ruby. That was not what I wanted to start 2 days after giving birth. I tell people it was her first act of defiance... she heard me say I never potty train this early and she insisted she would!(lol)

I applaud your persistence, be encouraged that really it does click in and they will start going.
BTW none of mine are use depends so far I have 8 success stories...lol....just don't stress about it, it is easier as they get closer to 2 1/2....

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so cute and so funny! You have got some major determination - good job! Looks like you are well on your way :)

Unknown said...

Oh My Goodness! Did you sit there for 2 whole hours? You have some perseverance in you! Good luck with your potty training endeavours. I need to think about doing this with Lauren, but alas I just don't have the desire!

Grace Acres said...

yes I agree potty training is hard, It was the hardest task of my parenting.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

You are doing a great job. Load up on those M & M's!:)

Alana said...

That is wonderful...it really is hard work. Possibly one of the most difficult challenges of parenthood...in my opinion ;0

Anonymous said...

Yay for the tinkle!

The shower curtain thing looks like something my girls would have done. Very cute!

I forgot to tell you yesterday, you can usually find the mini m&m's at the register with gum and stuff. Unless maybe they've discontinued them?

Good luck on the quest for #2!

Tracey said...

MY BROTHER USED M&M'S WITH HIS TWINS AND IT WORKED GREAT! BEST OF LUCK!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

That is picture is so dang funny!!! Love it, love it, love it!

I need to try the M&M's...maybe when you're done with your girl, you can come do my boy?!? :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

What a mommy!! Determined aren't you? :) I'm so happy for you. Remember those days before kids (I know...hardly) :) Who ever would have thought we'd be crying tears of joy over PEE? And dancing and smiling. Yep, been there done that. :)
You are doing great!

ttm said...

YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY Savannah! And yay for you too, sitting there for 2 hours. The picture is absolutely pricesless!

Unknown said...

That is so adorable!

Unknown said...

That is so adorable!

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

We bribe too! Three chocolate chips for any potty action. And no getting off before I see results.

A good trick? Pump them full of fluids. It shortens the wait.

Now I just need to figure out how to get them to hit the hole EVERY TIME. Boys!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Woohoo! But 2 hours, seriously? I'm impressed at both of you for sticking it out. Way to go!

We're on our way to a red kitchen by the way? I'm curious, what else did you use to decorate your kitchen?

Unknown said...

Man ... you are seriously tough. I don't think I could have done that for 2 hours. Good for you! Love the pic.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Congratulations on the progress! I remember the M&M bribery well. I was like you. I wanted to start off with the mini M&Ms, but after a while I was willing to give them the whole bag if only they'd show some progress!

And the picture -- that is priceless!

na said...

We tried the candy bribery too with our kids...with little success. Our daughter potty trained herself totally at the age of around 2 1/2, even nighttime. Our son however wasn't totally potty trained until around 3 1/2-4 years old.

I just stumbled upon your blog and thought I should say Hi. I will have to check back again.

Christy @ Chrysler Creek

Casey said...

This seriously cracks me up! Congrats and good luck!!! ;)

Becky said...

That is just down right funny! Neither of mine would have ever sat there that long!! Entertainment, company, food, not for nothin'!
You'll get there!!!
We're having some 3 and 1/2 yr. old regression here and we're pulling hair out...ours, not hers!!! but.... :o)