Friday, July 25, 2008

Simplicity

So in light of my last few posts, I'm thinking that one on thankfulness is in order. Because, truly, I am thankful. For my family, my life, even for the interruptions and chaos of everyday life. Because the interruptions and chaos mean that I have a life, and that is not something I take for granted.

Recently, I was thinking about the little insignificant things that can brighten my day instantly. I truly love what I do, I love the fact that I can stay home with Savannah, but sometimes, the sameness of each day can make them all run together. In the midst of the laundry and cooking and reading books to an insatiable toddler, sometimes something a little out of the ordinary can breathe a fresh outlook into it all.

Things like getting a real letter in the mail. A thunderstorm mid-afternoon. Finding a good deal on blueberries.

And sheets.

We have 4 sets of sheets for our bed, but there is one in particular that makes my heart do a little happy dance. It is the set we have had the longest, which means that it has had plenty of time to mellow and soften and get all silky-feeling. I have a system for our sheets; I rotate them out every other week so they all get the same amount of use. This means that I have to go almost 2 months before I can put on my favorites.

And yes. I have been tempted to move them up in the rotation, but in the end, I can't, because that would be cheating, and I wouldn't enjoy the satisfaction of reveling in the sheets NEARLY as much as I would if I stuck to the system.

And no. I don't take this too seriously at all....why do you ask?


I get so excited when I go to the linen closet and see that, Hey, they are up in the rotation! I look forward all day to the time when I put my head on that pillow and stretch out between pure silkiness; if I were a cat, I would be purring with unadulterated contentment.

Oh, the delight. It's the little things. And I know you've got at least one, too...what makes your heart happy in the midst of an uninspired day?

My new bloggy friend Casey at Finding Beauty in My Everyday Life is hosting something that she calls Finding Beauty Friday. If you have had an unexpected thing of beauty happen into your life, something that has given you pause and made your soul smile, go on over and join in.

Have a great weekend, ya'll!

19 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

Ricardo lets you have PINK sheets on your bed? Amazing!

Casey said...

Lovely! I have a favorite sheet set too and I love snuggling in bed when they are on. I have several sets, but lately I have just be rewashing the one b/c I love them so much! :)

Thanks for joining in today!!

Unknown said...

Funny! I love it when I put fresh sheets on the bed.

Unknown said...

'The sameness of each day can make them all run together' I hear ya there! But I feel the same as you, I love being able to stay home with my kids, it's truly a blessing that I'm constantly thankful for.

And yes, I have several simple things that brighten my day. One that just came to mind is when I think of Rick getting home from work soon and I have one of those "little moments," being excited to see him at the end of the day.

Genny said...

Just had to stop by and say I used your Starbucks gift card today, and thoroughly enjoyed my latte! Thanks again!

Cheri said...

Ummm - I have sheets that I absolutely love too. So much that we wash them and put them back on the bed immediately.

Moving is rough - we have to sleep on OTHER sheets at some point. A tragedy - I'm tellin' you!

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of little things that if I take the time to notice them they do make my heart stir.


My granny gave me a set of sheet thatare so soft and wonderful. I look forward to using them too!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I love the embroidery on those sheets. I have to admit I smiled when I read about your "sheet rotation" program -- woe be to he who messes with that system! ;)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

I love the system. I know I have things like that, though I can't think of an example. It made me smile.

Would you believe I only have one set of sheets for our bed? And, I lost one of the pillow cases. How does one do that? Seriously. So, now I have one set of sheets with one mismatched pillow case. Nice, huh?

Carolina Mama said...

Love those sheets. What a cute patten too. Very cool!

Tracey said...

I'VE TAGGED YOU FOR A TELL ALL...DROP BY MY BLOG TOMORROW 7/27 FOR THE DETAILS!

Anonymous said...

I have a set of sheets I love that much! I understand how you feel and I love you wrote several paragraphs about this love. You're my kind of people!

Unknown said...

You don't know how much it delights me that you have a sheet rotation...that is cool!

Can you believe that I have one sheet set for my bed, and I dread having to wash them weekly, because of the whole production of being sure they are laundered and back on the bed before bedtime...

I need a rotation!

I think I may be buying new sheets soon!

Lisa said...

Noticing, appreciating and being thankful for the little things makes a happy life.

Like Kellie, I have one set of sheets but I still look forward to getting in between them on the day I've washed them.

The simple things...right? :)

Becky said...

I LOVE any fresh, clean sheets! Just love the feel of that first time sleeping in them!
Fun stuff! So little to keep us SAHM happy! :o)

Mamajil said...

I love your post!
I was just telling a friend of mine today that its so important to look for the blessings and the"good stuff" in each day!
Fresh sheets are such a perk! I like your system....I cut our sheets back to one set on the beds and a one set in the close, with Ten beds in the house that translates into 10 sets in the closet...if I had 4 in our rotation I am not sure I'd have enough room in the linen closet...lol

Mozi Esme said...

It definitely is the little things - though you have to make a point of looking for them or you get so buried in the ruined cell phones and lost watches of your life . . .

Have a terrific week!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Our brain sharing takes a fork in the road when it comes to sheet rotation. :) Oh but to be that on top of things and organized. Oh - but maybe I should have hope. If our brain has that potential then I can aspire to tap into it someday! :)
Really, this was an awesome post! I love it when we can notice the little things in life that are just plain good. :)

SarahHub said...

Oh, I L-O-V-E the crisp, cool feeling of new sheets.