Friday, April 18, 2008

Foody Friday!

Jenny over at A Latte Talk is hosting Foody Friday, and since I love to cook, I thought I would join right in. The theme for this week is your favorite recipe/favorite food.....and this is proving to be more difficult than I thought. I don't know how to narrow it down to just one, but I have decided on our family's absolute favorite soup. Ricardo, who was anti-soup before I introduced him to this, loves it. Savannah inhales it every time I make it. It is so simple, fast and easy to make, and oh so delicious.

Disclaimer: I do not normally measure any of my ingredients, but these are the measurements on the recipe that I have. I usually use about half the amount of cream cheese that it calls for, but if cream cheese is your thing, then go for it! You can alter the recipe to your taste by adding or deleting pretty much anything....I always like to throw in some extra vegetables.




Cream Cheese Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
3 cups chicken broth
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed

Directions:

In a large saucepan, saute the onion in butter. Add broth, carrots and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken, parsley, salt and pepper; heat through. Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cream cheese; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 8 servings.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh. that sounds goooood.

My daughter is lactose intolerant, I wonder what I could use as a replacement for the cream cheese. I replace soy milk for milk all the time, but I've never attempted cream cheese. hmm...

Or I could just make her something different.

Jodie | Velour said...

That sounds really good! I'm gonna add it to my menu for next week. Hopefully my picky eaters will love it like your Savannah! :)

Yvette said...

Oh good! I have all these ingredients on hand. I'm going to go make it.

Tirz said...

Looks and sounds yummy. I think I'm going to have to try it.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

That sounds SO good! You can't go wrong with cream cheese! :)

You won a prize on my blog! Congrats! Email me your address. :)

Yvette said...

Delicious! My family loved it. I used the all of the cream cheese, but I could see how it might be better with a little less.

Unknown said...

I'm going to make this tomorrow...I'm sure Dad will love it! Mom

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

This looks delicious!!

thanks for stopping by my blog today - so glad you are playing along for the Garden Tour... It'll be fun! :))

Lisa