Tuesday, April 08, 2008

My little mama

I was sitting at my computer yesterday, trying to get some things together for a potential client. I had stayed up late the night before working on it, and thought I had it all ready to go, but Ricardo called me mid-morning with some changes.

It sounded simple enough, but it took me forever. I had to download tons of files. Attach them to different emails. Change the quotes, re-attach everything. I had been working about 2 hours on it. Then my computer completely froze, and I had to start all over. I was beyond frustrated, to put it mildly.

Savannah was there, demanding my attention, crawling all over my chair, leaning across the desk to grab my pens and post-its to "color". She wasn't being particularly bad, just a typical two year old who wanted to be in on everything.

I had finally had it, and I grabbed the phone to call Ricardo. None of it was his fault and he had his hands full with other things, but I needed to vent.

As soon as he answered the phone, I started in. I'm sure I didn't make much sense, and I ended up bawling in his ear. He was so sweet and sympathetic, he calmed me down, told me it wasn't worth getting stressed over.

I hung up the phone, still crying. I hate to cry in front of Savannah and it hasn't happened often. But there I was, bawling my eyes out like a little baby. She was sitting on the filing cabinet next to my chair. I felt a little hand on my shoulder.

"Hurt?" she asked. She's heard me ask her that a million times, and now she was playing the role of the little mama.

I smiled at her as best I could and said, "No, baby, mama's not hurt."

"Sad?"

"No, baby, mama's ok. Mama's happy!"

She looked at me like she didn't quite believe me, but then she smiled and clapped. "Yaaay, happy!"

It's amazing to me that even at 2 years old, she can comprehend all these different emotions, and be in tune enough to know that some comfort was in order. For a second I felt like I was talking to somebody a lot older, and it was a weird feeling.

But then she added, "Pooh Bear happy too!" and she was back to just being 2 years old again.

1 comment:

Jodie | Velour said...

In the south we say Cher Baby when we see cute stuff. And that's exactly what I think when I read this. :) They are so insightful, huh?