Wednesday, April 02, 2008

When the day is done

One of my very favorite times of the day is 9:00 in the evening, when Savannah goes to bed. And not for the obvious reason that she is down for the night and out of my hair...not at all. I love it because we all lay down together on the big bed in her room, Ricardo, Savannah, and I, and talk and giggle together, and then finally pray together. She loves the little routine. She climbes up on the bed, unassisted, of course, since all 2 years olds like to do things themselves.

"Lay down, Mama," she instructs, if she doesn't like the way I am positioned on the bed. "Lay down, Dada."

Ricardo tickles her and makes her giggle that sweet baby giggle, then she plugs her thumb in her mouth and lays her curly little head down between us.

And then Ricardo prays.

And it is the sweetest moment imaginable.

He prays our thankfulness for the good day that we have had, and that we would have a restful night and sweet dreams. He prays that we would be good parents to our little treasure, and that she would grow up to love Jesus all the days of her life. I have heard him pray this hundreds of times, but I never get tired of it. When he is done, she echoes our "Amen", and sits up to give hugs and kisses. I place her in her crib, and as I leave she calls out, "I love you! Good Night! See you in the morning! See you tomorrow! I love you! I love you! I love you!"

Yes, definitely one of my favorite times of the day.

1 comment:

Jodie | Velour said...

This is precious. You painted a perfect picture of your routine,and I love it. :) I have to say with 3 little ones, I usually love 9pm b/c it means everyone's in bed and I can sit by myself. At the end of the day I get really tired of being tugged on and all of that. But on the nights when I'm most frustrated and gruff with them, I feel an almost immediate guilt once they're all asleep and it's too late to smile at them. Thankfully tomorrow is always a new day, and His mercies are new, and maybe I'll be better next time...
Great post - great blog! :)