Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bona Fide

I realized this week that I am now a slightly obsessed, die-hard blogger.

I have been in denial up to this point. Sure, I think about it too much, write posts in my head all day, check my reader too often.

But this past Wednesday, I had to own up to the truth. I am addicted. And I am exhibiting crazy, completely irrational behavior because of it.

We received a flyer in the mail announcing the opening of a new Mexican grocery store in town on Wednesday. The store opened at 10:00 in the morning, so we moseyed on over around 10:30. Just a regular store opening, so no big deal, we thought.

We turned into the parking lot, and our jaws dropped. Apparently we seriously underestimated the resolve of these folks to get in on free giveaways and good deals, because there was a line of people that wound its way down the long side of the strip mall, around the corner, and then doubled back. We instantly regretted our decision to turn into the parking lot, because they had security out there directing traffic and we were stuck behind a long line of cars that couldn't find a parking space. And the parking lot is HUGE, so that tells you how crowded it was.

So in the midst of this chaos, I uttered these outlandish words:

"Wow! Look at that! Why didn't I bring my camera!" And then..."Umm...maybe we can go back home and get it...?"

And Ricardo, thinking I was kidding, said, "Humpfh! Yeah, right," as he snorted and laughed.

And I also laughed as if I were not serious. Oh, but I was. If I had been by myself, there is a very good chance that I would have made the 20 minute round-trip drive back to the house, just so I could grab my camera and capture the crowd of crazy people standing in the blazing sun and fanning themselves with paper paddle fans that were being passed out by the dozens. Because that is just not something you see every day. And something that you don't see every day is definitely blog fodder, right?

So we left, because even though I am crazy enough to drive several miles out of my way to get a camera, I am not completely senseless, and waiting in a 2-hour line in the scorching heat is just not smart. But we did return the following day, just to see what all the hype was about. Here's what I purchased:

3 pounds of nectarines
4 pounds of limes
A bunch of cilantro
5 jalapenos
5 mangoes
2 gallons of milk

Guess how much I spent?

$7.95. For all of it. I was beside myself with excitement; getting a good deal will do that to me.

But, I have no picture of the hordes of people waiting to stock up on cheap limes and cilantro. And I have my rational, not-addicted-to-blogging husband to thank for that.

16 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

You'll always know when I forgot my camera and a bloggy moment happened...look for grainy pictures...that's when I pulled out my cell phone camera in desperation!

Are you making some sort of mango salsa...sin leche por favor!

Unknown said...

This cracks me up! I am the same way sometimes and right now my camera is broken so I feel at a complete loss!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an awesome deal you found! Those can really excite me, too :)

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

That's just too funny! I am getting to be the same way. Family photos? Ya right, this is a great blog shoot!

Strangly, my hubby seems to understand. Not the whole blog thing, but my need to 'get outta the house' and communicate with people over 6 - and why my blog can fill that need.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Too funny! I'd do the same thing :)

Elena said...

Jackie you are such a character. Your writing brings things to life and you make me chuckle:)

Tracey said...

SO YOU DON'T TELL YOUR NEW FOUND TWIN, LIVING IN THE SAME TOWN NO LESS, A HEADS UP ON A NEW PLACE WITH SUCH GREAT PRICES!!! SHAME!

It's amazing how quickly this becomes addictive isn't it....never before would I have found such wierd things to take pictures up and share with complete strangers.

Wendy said...

That is such a bargain! Incidentally, what do you do with 4 lbs of limes?

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Welcome to the obsession. :) Dave laughs at me so much because I see everything throguh 'bloggy glasses'. :)

Unknown said...

Oh you've got it just as bad as the rest of us dear girl! Welcome to the club!

Unknown said...

I feel ya'. I do the same things. All these crazy things happen and I never have my camera. Or I wake up thinking of a post that I can do. TOTAL DORKDOM is where we are.

Grace Acres said...

wow what a fab deal, what do you make with your mangos? I had the chance to get them at a great deal and opted out of it because I don't like the texture by itself. I know what you mean about the obsession, I treat this blogging thing as business.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, you certainly aren't the only one who would do that. I took a picture of rainbow-colored ice cream yesterday. That is most definitely something I would not have done before blogging.

Great post. And, it looks like you got some great deals as well.

Unknown said...

That was a smokin' deal you left with!

And yes, I think you are definitely a blogger. I have forgotten my camera and contemplated going back too!

Unknown said...

Very funny--Yes you have fallen hard for the little thing we call blogging.

And what a deal--wow!

Becky said...

I'll often say, "Darn! I need my camera!" and hubby says, "Why? so you can blog this?!"
Yep, it's bad!