Saturday, June 07, 2008

My well of excuses has run dry

There comes a time in life when you run out of excuses.

Reasons why something isn't working, why you can't do it, why you don't feel like it.

I think I'm just about out of excuses on this one. I need to lose weight, and I have been inspired.

I recently ran across this blog, and was immediately intrigued. This new blog friend of mine has been on her own incredible weight loss journey, and after reading for a few days, I thought, Hey, if she can do it, so can I. I mean, 40 lbs. in 20 weeks! If that isn't motivating, I don't know what is.

And it's completely doable. I know this. In the past, I have been able to lose a significant amount of weight within a reasonable time frame. More recently, I have tried, haphazardly, and had some success, but haven't stuck with it.

It's important to know your weaknesses, to recognize what you have allowed yourself to think in the past. One of my downfalls has always been thinking that if I cheat and eat something I shouldn't, I throw in the towel completely and figure, What the heck, I've already blown it, I might as well just keep eating it. Yeah. Not so good. I am not striving for perfection here, just a healthy dose of moderation.

I know the things that work and don't work for me. Mostly common sense things, like, I can't eat too late in the evening. I have a huge weakness for carbs, especially potatoes....those are going to be relegated to my limited-consumption list. So I guess this recipe that I saw on the Pioneer Woman site for Crash Hot Potatoes is out.

Now that. That is temptation to me.

Sweets aren't really an issue, so I'm not terribly concerned about that. In fact, this past week, I have basically cut out all white sugar. Today we went to a graduation party which featured a gigantic cake. I did fine while I was there, avoiding the dessert table, but then the hostess sent an enormous piece home with us. Ostensibly for Ricardo. Once home, I had a few bites of it. And let me tell you, after only a week off of sugar, I started feeling sort of sick after about 10 minutes.

I probably won't be posting too much about this, but I did want to put it out there. There's great power in accountability, and I figure if I share this here, I am more likely to stick with it.

So there you have it. Now I'm off to eat some grilled chicken. And spinach.

Enjoy a potato for me, will you?

9 comments:

Kelley said...

I am a carb lover too! Bring on the pasta, rice, bread and potatoes and you can keep the sweets. I have bee trying to workout and run a little more and eat a LOT less. So far I haven't seen any result on the scales but I am feeling more motivated. Keep me posted on how it is going!

Tracey said...

I find getting others involved in your goals helps too. How about taking the baby along on the exercise routine...walks, bike rides etc. A healthy mommy is a healthy baby and you'll be around a lot longer the better you take care of yourself. Remember you want to see all those grandchildren. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Janelle said...

Jackie,

Thanks for stopping by my little blog. I enjoy meeting new bloggy friends.

This is an incredible post. I love your tenderness towards this subject. I don't know you and this journey, but feel by reading these words that you are ready for a change.

I will hope for your success.

Grace Acres said...

I know you will feel great with your new program and life happens so enjoy your cheats. A couple tips I keep in mind is if your are going to eat carbs check the label and eat the carbs that are high in fiber, those are the good ones for you. also good protien not fat fried protien. God bless.

Unknown said...

Good for you...as always, I'll be right with you, cheering you on to your goal!!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm supposed to be on a diet/exercise plan with my whole family and we aren't doing too well. Time to re-light those fires!

Elena said...

I wish you the best on your new program! I checked out the blog you linked to this post. It was intersting that Mamachristina was Amish and so was her husband. My dad was raised Amish. I have Amish cousins in Kansas and Indiana.

Tirz said...

I've had such a difficult time since giving birth to Luke. I always had it so easy - even after Rachel - but then everything slowed down after my second. It's been a frustrating process of stopping and starting 'cause I haven't seen the results I've expected BUT this is motivational and I"m really glad you posted it.

Colored With Memories said...

Hey there, I've just been catching up on your blog.

We recently started reducing bad carbs too. It's amazing how much more energy we have when we don't eat that stuff!

Good luck on the journey.