Thursday, June 12, 2008

Garden Party in the Southwest


Welcome to the Land of Enchantment! Lisa at The Preacher's Wife had the fabulous idea to host this Spring Garden Tour so we can all get a peek into each other's yards and gardens and outdoor sanctuaries.


So, here in the Southwest, or at least in my city, almost everyone has the lovely xeroscape, otherwise known as "gravel in my front yard that we try to pass off as landscape". Given the water shortage around here, it does make sense, although growing up in the Midwest where both rain and grass abound, it was an adjustment for me.


This is my little welcoming wine barrel, brimming with petunias.



That's about it for the front yard. Because I'm quite sure you don't want to see my gravel, do you? So we'll move along to the back, where we spend most of our time.

It's a small yard, but I found a spot for a few vegetable plants. Tomatoes, onions, spinach, peppers, and jalapenos. Yum.



And basil. I LOVE basil. Makes me want to whip up a batch of spaghetti sauce. Plus, it has the most heavenly smell; when I water it in the evening, it permeates the entire area with such a fragrant scent.


I plant spearmint every year, solely for the nostalgic memories the scent brings to mind. And if one were so inclined, it makes a great garnish. I, personally, am not usually so inclined. But if I were...it would be fabulous.


Random flowers around the yard....a couple of dianthus plants. And violets and snapdragons that sprang up in January and saved me the trouble of planting anything in that space this year.







I love this blue-violet shade of pansies. And my sweet hubby bought me this wagon-planter last year that adds a little character to the yard.




This is our little waterfall, which we put in last year. I'm sure our electric bill and water bill have been a little higher since then because, well, it is always on. But it is so relaxing, and I would literally run it 24/7 if I could.






And when the sun goes down, the relaxation factor kicks up an extra notch. Ah....such serenity.



So that's it! Not the biggest or brightest or fanciest, but it is a little outdoor haven for us, and I guess that's what counts.

Thanks for stopping by...can't wait to come and visit your beautiful yards! Be sure to visit The Preachers Wife and continue the Tour!

27 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

Wow! I love every inch of it.

Especially the vegetable garden. I love basil too...big homemade pesto fan.

Try a spearmint sprig in your next glass of iced tea!

IA. said...

You have such a beautiful place! I love your garden! How I wish we too can have a house where we can get dirty with our hands and see the beauty from our labor grow. Your lil waterfall is exactly what my man wants for us when we get our own place! You are greatly blessed!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Beautiful!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I love the welcome wine barrel with flowers! And the water feature is BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

beautiful!!!!
I love it! Everything!

Unknown said...

I love your patio and the flowers/plants are awesome! I wish I had your patio; very relaxing! Did I mention I like your patio? You are so blessed.

Thanks for the sweet comments about Luke!!!!

Unknown said...

I like your water fountain. It makes me want one! I think you have done a great job landscaping.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I triple love that fountain at night. What a relaxing place to go after the kiddos are in bed!

Thank you so much for showing us your yard - it was a treat!

Unknown said...

WOW! Lovin' your waterfall: especially at night! I wonder if my husband could do that at my house...:-)

Tracey said...

Nice yard...mine is small too!!! I like it like that....Yah for the SW.

Wendy said...

I love the waterfall...just beautiful and I bet you love sitting out there and listening to it! You've got some beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing.

Sheryl said...

Wow I think that is absolutely beautiful!! I would be spending every moment out there in the evenings. Well done!!

-Sheryl

Kelly said...

That is beautiful- what a treat to escape to that back patio with the water to listen to. Beautiful!

Elena said...

Very pretty! I too love your fountain patio area. Good job.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks for stopping by my garden party too! It's so fun to see different gardens in other states & how different they are from the South. Love, love your waterfall, that is just beautiful!

RHoda

Tracey said...

You are more adventurous then me...I've planted things that come back every year...I don't have the patience to plant new plants every year...besides my tomatoes...sshhh...don't tell my hubby...I did do a couple...but most are perennials...you'll notice in my updated post....the front yard...yah Xeriscaping!!!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

jackie,

My first time by...just beautiful. I loved your basil plants. I planted only two and one of them is purple basil and the poor little guy is struggling. I sure hope that they flourish this summer!

Loved your fountain. Did you do it yourself?

Blessings, Joanne

Mari said...

Your yard and gardens are beautiful. I'm quite envious of the waterfall. I bet it's really relaxing. It looks great at night too!

sequin said...

Love the lit fountain in your patio. It looks so inviting for an evening chat!!

Cassandra said...

I love love love your lights and water fall at night. Totally cozy. A good glass of sweet tea and that would be where you would find me every night. Thanks for the tour!

Trudy said...

Love your style. The rock border looks very natural and enhances the flowers. The wine barrel, waterfall, wagon and potted plants look very welcoming. There's something honerable about growing vegetables in your garden.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Your backyard MORE than makes up for the gravel front!! I have a barrel planter too. And I love my basil plant also. =0) I have oregano also and am getting ready to plant chives, cilantro and rosemary.

Your waterfall is soooo inviting! I found myself drooling a tad on my keyboard when I leaned in for a closer look. I think my shoulders relaxed a bit too...

Thanks for the tour!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Lovely!! The waterfall is amazing! I've got the water...it just isn't pretty :)

Anonymous said...

So serene, like an oasis in the southwest. And that leads me to my next question...where in the Southwest are ya? I'm in Southern Arizona. Are we neighbors?

Lisa said...

Your back patio is just beautiful. That would be so much fun to sit out there in the late evening drinking coffee with someone you love.

Your blog is BEAUTIFUL! I'll come back later to explore.

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Really gorgeous! So loving all of it. I have an obsession with water features - love yours so much!

Jenn said...

You yard is beautiful! I am so impressed with the waterfall. I also love your garden. I am wanting to plant an herb garden but I am not sure the best time to do that so I am going to have to do some research. :o)