Monday, June 16, 2008

When the thoughts in my head don't always translate....

I am usually a pretty good speller, and I am decent at stringing together a grammatically-correct sentence. For the most part, anyway. Not necessarily here in blogland, where you will often find me utilizing the sentence fragment, and even throwing out a made-up word now and then.

I am embarrassed to admit this, but in the past I have been known – occasionally - to make a snide remark to Ricardo about how I can’t believe the proofreader didn’t catch a mistake in a publication or how somebody used “there” instead of “their”. Stuff like that.

Now, since starting this blog, my cute little superior attitude is coming back to bite me you know where.

I think I have been staring at this computer screen too long, because lately the thoughts that are flowing so freely in my head aren’t making it intact to my typing fingers. I have typed some pretty cracked-out sentences lately, and when I go back and proofread, sometimes I’m not even sure what I was trying to say. Does this happen to anyone else? No? Ah. Ok then.

The spelling issue seems to show up when I am leaving a comment for someone. I type furiously and glance over it to make sure it looks alright, then hit publish. Then I re-read it. Why is it that the glaring misspellings never show up until after it’s too late? And although spell check is my friend when I am publishing my own posts, it doesn’t help me out when I’m leaving comments. I left a comment yesterday for someone, and typed “when” instead of “went”. I didn’t notice it until she emailed back, and I re-read my original comment. I couldn’t have possibly missed that the first time around, could I? But, yep. There it was. And then today I typed “ago” instead of “ok”. Not even close, and I have no idea where that came from. At least I caught that one before I sent it out for all to see.

I think there is some kind of conspiratorial program somewhere that takes my words and warps them after I type them, ‘cause they sure didn’t come out that way the first time around. In my head, anyway.

So, the snide remarks? They have most definitely ceased. Nobody’s perfect, and that for sure includes me.

12 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

"cracked-out sentences" LOVE THAT!

I do the same thing on comments...in fact, I did it twice today already :)

Michelle@Life with Three said...

That happens to me all the time and drives me nuts! It's always after I hit "publish." It never fails. :)

Colored With Memories said...

I just had to delete a comment and redo it a few minutes ago.

I'm a little "editor" too...and I hate to see my mistakes!

I haven't noticed anything "cracked-out" on your blog though.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Every time I say I hate something someone does....I end up doing it. I think it is God's way of humbling me. I am the worst speller & couldn't live with out spell check...Great post

Tirz said...

So, ummm, you're not the only one. lol. Your blog ... completely relatable!

Tracey said...

I'M WITH YOU GIRL!!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

*Laughing* totally relating with this! I do it so often... Some times I think it all makes perfect sense, then go back and read it and I'm thinking "What was I trying to say??"
I've also been known to copy and paste some comments into word to cheek spelling, then copy and paste back. Yeah, big dork. But it works. :)

Grace Acres said...

I do this all the time. In fact this was my day yesterday so I just didn't post. Now you know it had to have been bad.

Elena said...

I'm with you and all the 7 people who have left comments so far:) I was a secretary for a large church in S. California for 12 years. You would think after proofing bulletins for that many years, I would be perfect! NOT! It keeps me humble also.

Kendra said...

First time on your blog ~ I do this all the time too. I am an awful speller. Thank God for spell check! :)

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

Yep, happens to me ALL THE TIME.

My grammatical pet peeve? The correct pronunciation of the word library. I can't refrain from correcting someone when they say 'libary'. ARGH.

Anonymous said...

oh I so agree. My worst spelling errors ALWAYS show up as comments on someone elses blog.