Monday, June 30, 2008

Held

One of my weaknesses is not knowing what to say to someone who is going through a tremendously difficult situation. I can sit with them, cry with them, take them cookies and give them hugs, but I never quite know what to say.

But sometimes I think that might be ok. I think that most people don't really want you to try and fix it for them, especially when nothing you can say will fix it anyway. So maybe the best thing to do is to be there, ready to listen if they want to talk. Or just sit with them and watch something inane on TV.

In both real life and in blogland, I've come across some absolutely amazing girls that have had some stunning blows dealt to their lives. Over and over, I see such incredible faith being shown, even in the midst of asking why. And how. And where do we go from here?

That's what I love about our God. He doesn't mind that we ask why. He cries alongside of us, and holds us a little tighter when we can't see our way out of it. He knows that sometimes we feel far from Him, even though we know in our heads that He never leaves or forsakes us. He knows that sometimes we desperately just want to get back to normal, but we don't know what normal is anymore.

This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it is to be loved
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell we’d be held.
- Christa Wells

11 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

Wow. I loved this post...and the poem.

On a completely unrelated note...I still haven't forgotten about getting you that pesto recipe...I promise to get it to you before your basil dies!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

That was a great post. I was just thinking about this after reading something sad. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Beautifully put! I, too, often don't know what to say...sometimes just "being" there is all thats necessary.

Thanks for sharing!

Tracey said...

Great post...so so true!!!

Kelley said...

I love that song, it really sums up God's incredible promises of love. We will have pain and sorrow but through it all He will hold us!! I can't imagine life without that, although I lived that way for far too long. What an amazing God we serve!

Unknown said...

Thoughtful post, and it came on a great day. I had just walked in from the neighbors house. She has received a diagnosis that is not favorable. All I could do was hug her. And although I am sure it was just what she needed in that moment, I couldn't help but leaving wishing I could do more!

Grace Acres said...

great post. Great spirit.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that! You said that well too.

Unknown said...

Beautifully said!

Mamajil said...

Great post!! I enjoyed reading your blog!

Casey said...

So timely and true. And beautifully written.