Friday, June 06, 2008

Singlehandedly keeping the sunblock company in business

It was gorgeous today. Gorgeous. Sunny, breezy, mid-80's. I took advantage of the lovely weather and went out to pull weeds in my tiny garden (the Garden Tour hosted by The Preachers Wife is coming up, and I can't be showing you all a garden full of crabgrass, right?).

I was out there maybe a total of 15 minutes, not long at all. Later, inside, I looked at my shoulders in the mirror and noticed they were the color of a nice boiled lobster. Sigh. I always think I can get away with a few minutes in the sun without sunblock, but once again, here is proof that I cannot.

Ricardo came in this afternoon, wearing a sleeveless shirt that showed off his brown arms. I looked at him and said, "Dude. I wish I had your coloring." And I meant it. How amazing it would be to just get darker and darker during the summer, without even trying.

So I will keep slathering on the sunblock (on myself as well as Savannah - she inherited the pale skin gene from me) since we'll be outside a lot this summer. Playing in the park, in the yard, in the garden. I picked some onions from my garden today, and there's really nothing like eating something you've grown yourself. Once it's time to pick tomatoes, I'll be in heaven.

Enjoy your weekend, everybody!

4 comments:

Grace Acres said...

Hi Jackie, You can link to my blog anytime.

Alana said...

Hi Jackie,

I thought I'd stop in for a little visit!

I'm the same way, have the hardest time getting a tan.

I saw in one of your posts below that you were married in IN. Where? I grew up in Columbus, it is south central.

Grace Acres said...

Jackie I finally had a chance to read and catch up on your blog. You seem so sweet, I would to see ictures of you garden. I am just excited that mine is growing, I am north and it seems like it takes forever to get produce out of the garden. My strawberries will be ready in another week or two. God Bless, Christina

Unknown said...

My husband can get the kind of tan in one day that it takes me the entire summer to nearly get. I'm serious. It's not fair.