Saturday, May 31, 2008

The only one for me

It was the end of January, the year 2000. I had just moved to New Mexico, and didn't know a soul.


There was a function at the church the day after I arrived, some sort of anniversary celebration. My new roommate invited me to ride along with her, and I accepted, happy that I didn't have to show up by myself.


We approached the double doors of the building where the celebration was being held. That is when I looked up and saw him.


Medium-tall, with jet-black curly hair. Broad shoulders a mile wide, it seemed, held straight and proud. Black leather jacket.


And my heart said, "Hmmmmmm."


I didn't find out who he was until a few weeks later. Ricardo, they said his name was. I passed him in the church lobby one Sunday morning, and, thinking to be friendly, greeted him with a bright, "Hi!"


I got a less than enthusiastic "hello" back, and promptly wrote him off in my mind.


It took him 4 months to get around to asking me out. And I use that term loosely here; I am not sure that calling me up and saying, "Hey, a bunch of us are going river rafting, and I have 2 spots that I have to fill....wanna come?" constitutes being asked out, but apparently it was his roundabout way of doing so. I agreed to go, and somehow ended up in his truck for the ride up and back. We talked non-stop the entire way, and the rest is more or less history.


6 years ago today, I walked down a grassy green aisle in Indiana and became the wife to the only man in the world for me. I saw him waiting for me there at the front, his eyes showing his emotion, and I felt so complete in that moment.



The day had dawned gray and rainy, and since we were planning an outdoor wedding in my parents yard, it wasn't looking good. I pictured trying to cram all of our guests in to my parents living room for the ceremony.

Fortunately, about an hour before it all started, the rain vanished, the sun appeared, and it was perfection. My daddy gave me away, and amidst tears from everyone in the audience, Ricardo spoke his completely unrehearsed vows to me...words that were beautiful and natural and came straight from his heart.




We had a dinner reception afterwards, celebrating with just close friends and family. I hear a lot of stories about how brides are too keyed up to enjoy eating at their own wedding, but I was definitely not one of them. We had a very simple dinner, nothing fancy, and completely in keeping with the rest of our casual setting. But, oh, it was good......roast beef, homemade rolls, potatoes, green beans. Comfort food. Homemade Mexican cookies that my mother-in-law brought along. Actually, I think the only thing I didn't really get to sample, outside of the customary bite that we fed each other, was the wedding cake. Oh well. I heard it was good, I'll take their word for it.


Look at the sunset in the background.....phenomenal.


Before we knew it, evening gave way to nightfall. And we waved goodbye and left to start our new life together.



Words cannot express how thankful I am for this man. He is the perfect counterpart to me. He is the decisiveness to my wavering. He's the push in my swing, encouraging me to go a little higher. He's the gravy on my mashed potatoes......everything is just a little better when he's around.




I could not ask for anything more. Happy Anniversary, my husband, my friend.

16 comments:

ttm said...

Happy Anniversary you two lovebirds!

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary...seems like only yesterday!!

Beth K. Vogt said...

My first time at your blog0--and what a wonderful introduction!!
Thanks for stopping by Mommy-Come-Lately.
And Happy Anniversary!

Grace Acres said...

What a beautiful love story and you were such a pretty bride. i am so glad you found my blog so I could meet you. I will visit more.

marine's words said...

Hi my first time hear I found you @ 2 cups of coffee, you are a very pretty bride. I lived in New Mexico for 12 years eastern NM and really came to love the Lord there.
Happy Anniversary,marina

Colored With Memories said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the way you recounted it!

Elena said...

Beautiful pictures!

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! You write SO well! Beautiful pictures!!

Tirz said...

Oh Jackie ... what a great blog! So lovely to hear your story. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your anniversary and abundant blessings to you guys and your family.

Kelley said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! The pictures are beautiful!

Stephanie said...

Happy Anniversary! And thanks for watching the video of my son. I love to hear babies laugh.

Jodie | Velour said...

Oh Jackie! This is beautiful! I love "how'd you meet" stories. Yours is great. Congratulations on 6 years. I love this post!

Becky said...

What beautiful pictures! And, a beautifully written story of how you found you prince! We'll have 16 yrs. on the 13th of this month!

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment! I like to pop in here but am not good at always leaving comments! This was my daughter's first year in gymnastics. So, she was just 2 months from turning 3 when it started last September. She's had a lot of fun, you guys should try it! Your daughter is so adorable!

Blessings!

Tracey said...

What a coincedence...my husbands name is Richard and "I could not ask for more" by Sarah Evans was our song. Spooky!!!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Happy Anniversary!! Your pics are beautiful!

Jenn said...

I have enjoyed looking around your blog this morning. What a beautiful couple you two make!

I'm curious what part of NM you live in? I worked at Glorieta Conf. Center (near Santa Fe) for two summers in college. Santa Fe and Glorieta will always hold a special place in my heart not only because I have made life long friends but because I met my husband there. :o)