Sunday, May 25, 2008

The tone-deafness only adds to the charm

Sometimes I look at Savannah and daydream a little. I wonder what she'll be when she grows up. That thought alone is hard to wrap my head around.......grown up. It's impossible to imagine anything past this age right now....she'll always be two, running around, saying, "I miss you!" as she wraps her two little arms around me. Right?

Well. In my dreams, maybe. But eventually, she'll grow and be....what? A teacher? Nurse? Artist? Journalist?

Or maybe a pianist. Or singer.

I come from a very musical family. All of us play at least one instrument, and while none of us can claim to be a professional singer by any stretch of the imagination, we can certainly carry a tune and we all play by ear.

I always assumed that I would marry someone that possessed a similar musical gene.

That is not the case.

We discovered last month, by accident really, that Ricardo is basically tone-deaf. He will admit it, so I'm not saying anything he doesn't know. Sometimes, when we are sitting together in church, he will harmonize perfectly with me. This initially led me to believe that he did indeed have a great ear, and I was excited! We could sing together! And sound decent!

But then his harmony would more often than not trail off into something....else. Something that was not especially harmonious.

So the other day, while we were giving Savannah a bath, he picked up one of her bath toy instruments, and started to play a "song". Mind you, it is a one-note instrument. After he played this one-note song, he asked me if I knew what it was. I hadn't a clue. He was all, You don't know it? I can't believe it! Here, I'll play it again....

I started to get a sneaking suspicion about the tone-deaf theory. So I said, Ok. Can you match this note that I'm going to sing?

And he said, What do you mean by "note"?

I explained it.

He said, They all sound the same to me.

So we tried it. I sang a note, he tried to match it. He always ended up above or below my note, and he said that he couldn't hear the difference.

This was pretty amazing to me....I have never actually known anyone who was tone-deaf. And as someone who plays the piano almost strictly by ear, it's so hard for me to imagine that someone cannot hear the changes in pitch.

So I'm curious to see who Savannah takes after. She sings constantly....ABC's, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, B-I-B-L-E. All day long, over and over. She bursts out in song at the grocery store, the doctors office, wherever and whenever she feels like it. She dances to Ricardo's 80's music, to the Backyardigans theme song, to American Idol. She's not picky. There is no denying that the child likes her music. But it's a little too early to tell whether or not she has a natural ear for it.

I wouldn't change a thing about my hubby. I love standing next to him in church, listening to him sing out whole-heartedly his love and adoration for his Heavenly Father. Who cares if it's a little off-key?

God doesn't, and neither do I.

6 comments:

Kelley said...

I don't know what my husband is but he is NOT a singer. Then again neither am I but he is REALLY bad! Unfortunately he loves to sing "Summer Lovin" whenever we happen upon a karaoke party. I can't tell you how many stages he has been boo'd off of. LOL! Fortunately, word gets out and I don't think there is a woman around who will sing with him anymore. On the brighter side, I have a daughter who is an extremely talented pianist and a son who has lettered in High School choir (although he would never admit it). I'm afraid we are a twisted family! LOL

Unknown said...

Hey, would you mind if I added you to my blogroll?

Also, thanks for the comment on "Ego Boost." I responded to your questions there :)

Elena said...

My little girl,Mary loves music too. My husband and I love music and have some musical ability. We hope Mary will have musical talent but we will be happy with whatever she likes to do and want to help her to develop her interests to the fullest! Thanks for sharing.

Missy said...

Wow, I had no idea tone-deaf was a LITERAL thing. That is fascinating.

Almost as fascinating as the boy I knew in middle school who had perfect pitch.

Colored With Memories said...

I think Lily and Savannah would make quite the duo...Lily sings all day...every day!

Jenny said...

It's pretty rare to be truly tone-deaf.

A lot of people use the phrase loosely for people who can't match a pitch... and a lot of people can't do that (they could if they were trained and practiced it...), but the true "definition" of tone deafness is not being able to hear the difference in pitches, just like you say about your sweet hubby.

Sounds like he's lucky enough to be one of the rare ones :) That's interesting. And I agree... who cares. It's cute, and think about how much less distraction there may be for him in worship... (I'm just guessing) if all he's really hearing is the timbres and the voices and words.