Friday, May 16, 2008

You're only as old as you feel

Today, per the request of my doctor, I went to a lab here in town to get some blood drawn. I signed in and sat down to wait for my name to be called.

The door opened, and two ladies entered. Elderly little ladies, one was at least 85 and the other was probably around 75. I like watching older people, because you never know what they will do or what is going to come out of their mouths.

Right away I could tell they were going to be entertaining. They didn't know where to sign in, they bickered slightly about how to go about it, then the younger one told her friend to go sit down, and the older one looked bewildered and unsure of which of the 10 chairs to sit in. They finally settled in a few chairs away from me, and started yakking back and forth about all kinds of stuff.

Older one: Hey, I really like your watch, is it new?

Younger one: Nah, I've had it awhile, and I really love it. I probably have 15 of these in different colors, they are only $10 so I can afford to get a whole lot of them. I love matching my watches to my clothes.

Older one: Yep. It sure does match that bird on your shirt.

And truly, it did match. The watch was a mint green color. She had on a purple sweatshirt with a green bird, and green pants. Somehow this ensemble worked on her, but probably only because she was 75 years old. I don't think I would be able to pull it off, or if I tried, I would fully expect somebody to pull me aside and suggest that I start watching What Not To Wear.

Older one: Hey, what do you think about going on that cruise?

Younger one: Oh, I sure think it sounds like fun, but do you think Ellen will want to go?

Older one: Humph! Probably not! She'd be too scared of falling overboard. Can't you just picture her trying to swim back to the boat? (laughing as they pictured the unfortunate Ellen chasing down a cruise ship)

The receptionist called her name, and the younger one stood up. Stay right here, she ordered her friend.

The older one looked at me and rolled her eyes. She's always bossing me around, she informed me.

I laughed. But mentally I was taking notes and filing them away. I want to be just like this when I am 85 years old. This little lady walked with a cane, and looked every bit her age. But she was sharp, spunky, had her makeup on and her hair fixed. Her friend, despite the purple and green outfit, had her toes painted pink, and her jewelry all in place. I didn't matter that they were little old ladies, they still knew they looked good. And judging from their conversation, they still had plenty of life left in them.

So, in about 50 years, you can look for me....I'll be hobbling my way toward a cruise ship, hollering for my friend to keep up with me.

5 comments:

Kelley said...

This is just a precious post. You made it so real I feel like I was there with you. I tend to get depressed around older people but you are right, it's just another stage of who we are (people created in the image of God).

I love reading your posts, I am going to add you to my blogroll if that's OK.

Have a super weekend!

Elena said...

My husband and I had a good laugh at this post. My husband says often that older people are so funny because you never know what they are going to say. His mom and dad are 80 and 84, they are just precious and sometimes they say the funniest things!

ttm said...

I won't be offended when you are yelling at me to keep up with you getting onto our cruise! ;)

Jodie | Velour said...

Oh my gosh! Me, too! I wanna be like that! All done up and sassy. I love little ladies like that! :)

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

What a cute story! Little ladies are so fun to watch.